Airport Self Assigned IP/No IP Address

Reaction score
My aiport status keeps changing to:
  • No IP Address
  • Self Asigned IP
  • Conected to the internet

Even when it says connected to the internet, I can't. The internet works on everything else in the house wired and wireless. It just won't work on my iMac.

How do I fix this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Go to System Prefs > Network > Advanced > TCP/IP in the drop down box make sure "Using DHCP" is selected then hit "Renew DHCP Release", see if that solves the problem.
attachment.php

- Simon

cap.jpg

OP
Cooler
Reaction score
Go to System Prefs > Network > Advanced > TCP/IP in the drop down box make sure "Using DHCP" is selected then hit "Renew DHCP Release", see if that solves the problem.
attachment.php

- Simon

Already tried that, still don't work.

OP
Cooler
Reaction score
Please someone help, I'm without internet on my iMac. I can't even use wired connection because my iMac won't detect any of my ethernet cables. I know the ethernet cables work because they work on my Macbook. How do I fix the wireless or wired? I would be happy with one working for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
How long has it been doing this ?? HAs it just happened or has it been a while ??

Have you logged out then back in since this has happened ?? Have you tried to Repair Permissions ??

It might be easier if you go through this Trouble Shooting Guide ~ Airport then get back to us with your results .......... Already in the post after your 1st someone suggested something and you had already done that.
So try the link above and then tell us everything you have done to rectify the problem, then post back :)

Cheers

OP
Cooler
Reaction score
How long has it been doing this ?? HAs it just happened or has it been a while ??

Have you logged out then back in since this has happened ?? Have you tried to Repair Permissions ??

It might be easier if you go through this Trouble Shooting Guide ~ Airport then get back to us with your results .......... Already in the post after your 1st someone suggested something and you had already done that.
So try the link above and then tell us everything you have done to rectify the problem, then post back :) Cheers

Just started a week ago, Internet has been working for a long time. That article didn't help me :( I have logged out and tried repair permissions through disk utility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Had this no IP address etc. problem on a Netgear modem/router. Changed the unit and no more problems.

OP
Cooler
Reaction score
Ok I found that the wireless works on a new user but it's mega slow like dial up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It was a DGN2000. The more I look at Netgear the less compatible they seem to be with Macs with many models only having Windows instruction and user manuals.

OP
Cooler
Reaction score
It was a DGN2000. The more I look at Netgear the less compatible they seem to be with Macs with many models only having Windows instruction and user manuals.

I don't have netgear, I have a O2 router.

Reaction score
Getting the exact same problem since thursday night on my o2 wireless box (II) with my macbook.

It works with Ethernet so it isn't the net connection, and the wireless is fine on my gf toshiba laptop and our iphones and ipads.

If you find a solution to this I think I need it too. Same symptoms on mine as well. If it does connect then it's worse than dial up speeds used to be. I have tried setting the channel on the wifi manually, refreshing DCHP, setting DCHP manually etc. All the usual changes. Not sure if we have had an update that triggers this.

Also at work the wifi isn't a problem with the macbook. Perhaps a change on o2 side of things. I know they are updating firmware in their modems.

OP
Cooler
Reaction score
Getting the exact same problem since thursday night on my o2 wireless box (II) with my macbook.

It works with Ethernet so it isn't the net connection, and the wireless is fine on my gf toshiba laptop and our iphones and ipads.

If you find a solution to this I think I need it too. Same symptoms on mine as well. If it does connect then it's worse than dial up speeds used to be. I have tried setting the channel on the wifi manually, refreshing DCHP, setting DCHP manually etc. All the usual changes. Not sure if we have had an update that triggers this.

Also at work the wifi isn't a problem with the macbook. Perhaps a change on o2 side of things. I know they are updating firmware in their modems.

Sucks doesn't it :(

Reaction score
I sort of fixed mine. I got new neighbours so the idea is interferance with the wifi signal was probably the cause. By logging into the router, changing security to WPA2 and changing the channel from auto and setting it to 11 has sorted it for me.

OP
Cooler
Reaction score
I sort of fixed mine. I got new neighbours so the idea is interferance with the wifi signal was probably the cause. By logging into the router, changing security to WPA2 and changing the channel from auto and setting it to 11 has sorted it for me.

YES! It worked, thanks a lot :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.