Time Capsule setup for ethernet and wireless

Reaction score
Hi all

I just got my new Time capsule 1TB, and now i have some problems, setting it up the way i like it.

I want the Time capsule, to be connected to my wireles router, via a ethernet cable, but i also want to be able to make wireless backups, with my macbook pro via the router to the capsule.

its no problem, to set it up, so its only using the wireless, or only using the ethernet cable.

but the problem is when u want to combine wireless and ethernet together.

anyone got a clue on how to solve this issue ??

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not sure what it is you're trying to solve.

If the TC is set up in bridged mode and gets it's IP from the other router, then your Mac will have access to the TC via the wifi you are using on the router.

Personally, I have my primary router set up at one end of the house with a wifi network, a TC at the opposite end of the house connected via ethernet to the router and a 2nd wifi network on the TC. That way I can move from network to network (whichever has the best signal) as I move around the house - inside and out.

OPen Airport Utility - use the Manual set up - under the Internet tab:
Internet Connection - set it to use Ethernet and have Connection Sharing "Off (Bridge Mode)".
TCP/IP - set to Using DHCP

Then you can set up a 2nd wifi network on the TC if you want or not. You should use different channels on each of the wifi networks if you do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.