Traveling to Japan

Reaction score
I will be traveling to Japan in late March. I will need to be able to call home to my family as well as check email and get on the internet. I already know to turn off Edge (which I usually leave turned off anyways) and to use free Wifi. If I use my AT&T account are there international packages that won't leave my wallet hanging dry? I am also jailbroken, are there options there that would be better?
Looking at AT&T I see they have a World Traveler feature, Global Data add-on (very expensive) and global messaging. What services would be advisable to use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Do they have GSM in Japan? I'm not sure if they are one of the big CDMA "Asian" counties like China.

Either way, your best bet is probably to use WiFi wherever you are staying and just use Skype to call home. Folks I know who have gone to Japan and Europe for work have done this and it seems to work well, avoids the retarded international fees you might incur otherwise.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Japan, like China is strictly CDMA. However their deployment of it is different and some CDMA phones from here in the US (Verizon for example) may or may not work right. Probably best to use one of their international phones when you get there. You can pick one up when you land at Tokyo International Airport in Narita. (rental for fee)

OP
W
Reaction score
Just did a search on iPhones in Japan and they sell them there and surprisingly as of a year ago represented 70% of the smartphone market.

OP
W
Reaction score
I see they rent pocket Wifi's in Japan but being over there for 10 days makes it somewhat costly at around 10,000 yen or $120 US. The AT&T options will be a lot cheaper IF they don't kill me on the calls, and IF the hotel my company puts me in has wifi.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.