Wireless N iPhone 4 Questions

Reaction score
I have a Linksys WRT150N router from 2007 I think. I know the iPhone 4 supports N to some extent and only in the 2.4ghz range. Does my iPhone benefit from my router at all?

I mean I used to have it set to BG Mixed but I set it to mix all bands including N last night and I'm just curious if the iPhone 4 automatically senses the N signal or if it just reverts to G?

Is there anything special I need to do to make it work? Is it worth it? Or will I not even notice any difference in performance or range or battery life by switching my router to the different bands? Or as Jobs would say should I just "trust the iPhone"?

Thanks in advance! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The only benefit you'll see with the router set to N is that you'll have increased range and increased network speed. So if you're streaming something to or from your iPhone, you will definitely see a boost in speed.

However, I'm not sure whether your router is the type that allows each device its own speed or whether it forces the entire network to slow down to the slowest device. If it's the latter, then you're really not going to see much benefit except for the extended range (this is assuming you have G devices on the network).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.