• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Non-exclusive Apple-Verizon deal could allow iPhone on Sprint, T-Mobile

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I'm hoping that will happen. The more competition the better but I really just hate the concept of exclusivity for phones. As consumers we should be the ones to choose which phones we want to use on which networks rather than the wireless networks telling us what we can have.

Reaction score
I'm hoping that will happen. The more competition the better but I really just hate the concept of exclusivity for phones. As consumers we should be the ones to choose which phones we want to use on which networks rather than the wireless networks telling us what we can have.

I agree, but I hope the user experience is the same across networks (by that I mean the carrier doesn't stick on some non-removable bloatware etc.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro

Yeah, exclusivity for phones is kind of lame. ...BUT it keeps the prices of the hardware down for the consumer. Do you really want to pay $600 for an iPhone 4 just so you can use it on T-Mobile or Sprint? Maybe some don't mind, but I just couldn't afford that. And even if I did have that kind of money, I would spend it on better things than a phone. :\

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I agree, but I hope the user experience is the same across networks (by that I mean the carrier doesn't stick on some non-removable bloatware etc.)
Apple will not allow it. They have not with AT&T or Verizon or any international carrier. All the crapware garbage you have to get from itunes and can choose not to download it if you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I think T-Mo would be a likely candidate since they just use a different frequency band for data than AT&T, their system is still GSM and and the current crop of AT&T iPhones will work on their network just fine.

Sprint is another story though since their 4G network isn't going to the same standard as VZW and AT&T (LTE vs WiMax) that in itself would require another handset. Then again, why not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, exclusivity for phones is kind of lame. ...BUT it keeps the prices of the hardware down for the consumer. Do you really want to pay $600 for an iPhone 4 just so you can use it on T-Mobile or Sprint? Maybe some don't mind, but I just couldn't afford that. And even if I did have that kind of money, I would spend it on better things than a phone. :\
I don't believe exclusivity is the only way to get subsidized phones. I've seen other phones get subsidized even though they are on more than one network. I believe it has to do more with the deals and contracts the networks have with the phone manufacturers. For example the iPhone on Verizon is also at a subsidized price.

I think what you are talking about is getting an unlocked phone which is different than exclusivity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it worked initially since Apple was breaking into the market. Now that they are established subsidies will help keep existing customers as well as draw new ones for both carriers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I like subsidies and hope they continue. It's the exclusivity that I didn't like. I can understand at the time Apple was trying to break into the market but I'm surprised at how long the contract with AT&T was.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I like subsidies and hope they continue. It's the exclusivity that I didn't like. I can understand at the time Apple was trying to break into the market but I'm surprised at how long the contract with AT&T was.

Heck, they ended the contract a year and a half early even, the 5 years would have ended in Summer 2012. Apparently AT&T forced Apple to hold off until after the Holiday season as part of the bargain to early terminate the contract. I suspect that was a contract provision that they were able to exercise. Three and a half years really wasn't that long, but it's obviouse that VZW realized their mistake as soon as the iPhone launched but had to wait out for testing and Apples contractual requirements.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Three and a half years really wasn't that long...
In consumer electronics I personally think it's pretty long but that's all water under the bridge now. It's out now and I'm curious to hear about the reviews about the iPhone on the Verizon network.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.