• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I love the feeling of new tires!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I just got some new Yokohama's put on my '08 Passat, which had some beat-up continental contiPROcontact wheels on...and...ahhhh, they ride so nice, so smooth, so quite...oh yeah. I feel like I'm driving a new car! :) If only they weren't almost 900 installed. oh well...

Believe it or not, we usually always lease our cars, and this is only the 2nd time(my first time) we have ever had to buy new tires...so many to choose from. Glad I took the time to save a bit more for these. Super happy with them

If I didn't live in Cleveland, I could have driven them for at least another 1 1/2 years. Those conti tires weren't even that bad, but they were not suited for snow anymore...

Was a good birthday present to myself:)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Would be nice if you had pics. ^-^"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Yokohama is good, i have them on the BMW as well.

What we do over here is have 2 sets of tyres, one set of "summer" tyres ( April to November ) and one set of winter tyres ( November to April )
That will have an additional benefit in that your summer tyres ( which are softer by default ) will last longer.

And it is much safer driving in the snow knowing you can count on the winter tyres to provide good grip at all times.
Having said that, there is still the law of gravity, even with winter tyres ( as I have painfully and financially experienced a couple of years ago ) :)

Cheers ... McBie

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Another Yokohama fan, and after driving across a couple of patches of ice yesterday with the stock Michelins (at almost 50k on them), it's about time for me to start looking also.

Put some Yokohamas on my Dodge truck and they rode great and were dead silent in the cab.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just got some new Yokohama's put on my '08 Passat, which had some beat-up continental contiPROcontact wheels on...and...ahhhh, they ride so nice, so smooth, so quite...oh yeah. I feel like I'm driving a new car! :) If only they weren't almost 900 installed. oh well...

I just got a new set of tires on my Jeep Cherokee about 2 weeks ago. Believe me...I waited wayyyy too long to get them. The remaining tread was very little...and the rubber was on the harder side...so I definitely got just about all the mileage out of them I could!:)

I know what you mean about them sounding quieter...I think that it's because the rubber is softer...compared to the old "age-hardened" tires. And of course the tread pattern has an effect as well.

I haven't purchased a set of 4 tires in a long long time. I usually sell my vehicles before they need new tires (just coincidence I guess)...and I was also very surprised how much a set of tires costs these days!!!:( My old tires were Yokohama's...there's no way I was going to pay for a new set of Yokohama's...I ended up with a decent set of Firestones.

- Nick

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Would be nice if you had pics. ^-^"
Will do! Soon as I get back from my birthday party:)

I haven't purchased a set of 4 tires in a long long time. I usually sell my vehicles before they need new tires (just coincidence I guess)...and I was also very surprised how much a set of tires costs these days!!!:( My old tires were Yokohama's...there's no way I was going to pay for a new set of Yokohama's...I ended up with a decent set of Firestones.

- Nick

What I really hate is the customer service guys at the Bridgestone/Firestone dealer I went to to compare prices. The stock Conti tires are actually pretty good, but are a bit loud. That salesman wanted to convince me that a cheap pair(540 installed) of firestone tires were as good if not better than my stock tires, but what he didn't know was that I had my iphone's safari app opened up to the tirerack website, as well as other review sites, who listed the stats for that tire to be UNBELIEVABLY worse than my conties. All of it's stats were in the red, quietness was around 3.4-3.9, in an area where the conties were at 7.x. I asked him how good are the firestones compared to the conti that I had on, snd he flat out lied to my face when he told me they were better. I wanted to slap him in the face, but my dad had already warned me about them being bad, so I wasn't too surprised since they are a "Firestone" dealer.

I went back to Conrads, and placed the order. Those guys are A LOT better! More knowledgeable, and have more respect for customers!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I really hate is the customer service guys at the Bridgestone/Firestone dealer I went to to compare prices. The stock Conti tires are actually pretty good, but are a bit loud. That salesman wanted to convince me that a cheap pair(540 installed) of firestone tires were as good if not better than my stock tires, but what he didn't know was that I had my iphone's safari app opened up to the tirerack website, as well as other review sites, who listed the stats for that tire to be UNBELIEVABLY worse than my conties. All of it's stats were in the red, quietness was around 3.4-3.9, in an area where the conties were at 7.x. I asked him how good are the firestones compared to the conti that I had on, snd he flat out lied to my face when he told me they were better. I wanted to slap him in the face, but my dad had already warned me about them being bad, so I wasn't too surprised since they are a "Firestone" dealer.

I went back to Conrads, and placed the order. Those guys are A LOT better! More knowledgeable, and have more respect for customers!

Well you know how most salespersons are (not just tire guys)...they'll tell you whatever you need to hear to make a sale!;)

Where did you get the tire rating info? I went to Tirerack.com...and compared the Firestones I got to the Yokohama's (both tires what was recommended for my vehicle)...and the Firestones I got seem to compare very favorably to the Yokohama's. I would have preferred to get the Yokohama's...but I was in a hurry...and I needed a new set of tires fast since I was making a 1200 mile round trip to see relatives at New Year's.

You must have gotten some pretty pricey Yokohama's. The Yokohama's recommended for my Jeep Cherokee were only $10 more than the Firestones I purchased. Both sets would have been around $500-$550 installed for me. Since you paid close to $900 for your Yokohama's...it sounds like you may have gone with a much higher level tire...so that extra $300-$350 you paid probably got you the more quieter tire.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
I just got a new set of tires on my Jeep Cherokee about 2 weeks ago.

corvette.jpg

I have a 1999 Cherokee with only 261,000 miles on it and I only run with Uniroyal Lardeo tires. On average, I get about 80k out of them and the last set I bought ran right at $500.

As far as the "other car", I run BFG gForce SuperSport Z-rated tires. At a mere $800 for a set, the old log wagon rides like a dream!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a 1999 Cherokee with only 261,000 miles on it and I only run with Uniroyal Lardeo tires.

"Only" 261,000 miles on it. I have a 1999 Cherokee..and it "only" has 93,000 on it!

I guess it depends on how someone defines "only".;)

- Nick

p.s. I don't know if you do your own work on your Jeep...but I would be curious to hear when you got your Cherokee (how many miles on it if not new)...and what you've had to replace/repair on it. I've had to repair/replace a lot of things that I would not have expected with the mileage I've put on my 1999 Jeep Cherokee.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Here are some pics...ahhh it was pretty dirty...
IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

And just for fun. I finished all the interior gadgetry(did it all myself) :) No wires, besides the navi...so I can remove it when I park in the ghetto.
IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg
Check out that date 1/11/11:)
IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

I like consistent branding. These pics were all taken by the iphone. They all looked sweet...until it came time to shrink them.
I love my Passat! Viva VW!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I forgot to add...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Happy Birthday mate :)

Sweet looking car idrinor. I like VW in general but going back to the 70's Beetle. My last being the 74 SuperBug. Started 1st time everytime.

Love all the add ons and the Whats playing feature
One thing i noticed is the steering wheel is on the wrong side ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPhone 3GS 32GB
I've never bought tyres for my vehicle and I've had it nearly 7 years! But it's a weekend / summer toy that lives in the garage.....

Here she is, with my dog:

IMG_1013.jpg

It's an ex Californian bus and was formerly known as UAB 212 - if anyone knows anything about it's history then I'd love to hear from you!

Anyway, all this talk about Summer and Winter tyres - you should do what we do in England. Nothing, and then moan like buggery when it snows and nobody can go anywhere. Oh and then go and panic buy all the bread and milk that exists.....!

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Love all the add ons and the Whats playing feature
One thing i noticed is the steering wheel is on the wrong side ;P

That H/K "now playing" screen is actually an ipod connector setup that connects to the stereo through the back of the console unit. You control it with the knob next to the trans. shifter(the blue-lit knob). Had to take the whole front dash, center console, and the whole transmission console out to install it. I didn't even know what I was getting myself into until I opened the box. Just one of those things where you seem to be taking more things apart than fixing. Was worth it though!
I got plenty of family in europe whose steering is on the "right" side...I don't miss it one bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
It's an ex Californian bus and was formerly known as UAB 212 - if anyone knows anything about it's history then I'd love to hear from you!

OOOOHHHHHH *drools* Dont go anywher and dont sell it off. Ive just dispactched a boat and container full of cash. Ill take it off your hands..... No ill happily take it off your hands OOOOOHHHHHHH *drools*

Love it mate. Thanks for posting the picture

OOOOOHHHHHHHH *drools* ;P

That H/K "now playing" screen is actually an ipod connector setup that connects to the stereo through the back of the console unit.
It most certainly looks like it was worth the effort

I got plenty of family in europe whose steering is on the "right" side...I don't miss it one bit.

HAHA. . .
I quite like driving on the left. Did it for years with the Military vehicles i got to play with .....

Reaction score
Anyway, all this talk about Summer and Winter tyres - you should do what we do in England. Nothing, and then moan like buggery when it snows and nobody can go anywhere. Oh and then go and panic buy all the bread and milk that exists.....!

Or do what I did... forget and leave the 1/4 mile slicks on, then wonder why the stupid thing will only go in circles/sideways or slide into the kerb as soon as there's a few inches of snow lol.

In my defence, if there's more than a couple of inches of the white stuff my car is that low it just turns into a (not very good) snow plow.

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
About a month ago I had to replace my wifes tires on her volvo xc90 and my chevy truck. Ouch! They about two thousand for all eight tires. Too bad they all had to be replaced at once.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPhone 3GS 32GB
OOOOHHHHHH *drools* Dont go anywher and dont sell it off. Ive just dispactched a boat and container full of cash. Ill take it off your hands..... No ill happily take it off your hands OOOOOHHHHHHH *drools*

Love it mate. Thanks for posting the picture

OOOOOHHHHHHHH *drools* ;P

It most certainly looks like it was worth the effort

HAHA. . .
I quite like driving on the left. Did it for years with the Military vehicles i got to play with .....

Cheers! I don't think I could ever part with it though. It's still got the original camper interior from '66! I'll keep your container full of cash though....

Having a left hooker isn't a problem for me, even living in the UK....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPhone 3GS 32GB
Or do what I did... forget and leave the 1/4 mile slicks on, then wonder why the stupid thing will only go in circles/sideways or slide into the kerb as soon as there's a few inches of snow lol.

In my defence, if there's more than a couple of inches of the white stuff my car is that low it just turns into a (not very good) snow plow.

Mike

Sounds interesting, what do you drive then? Do you take it up the strip too?

(I'm not gonna change that last bit, despite it's slightly infantile double meaning that makes me giggle!)

Do you take it drag racing? RWYB maybe? Times, pictures......?!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.