• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Whats your speaker brand of choice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
personally i love my harman/kardon my dad bought with the dell. old speakers (a few years.. like 5), great quality! especially with itunes equalizer (custom, of course). its an hk 395.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, 14'', 1.33 Ghz, 60gig, 768ram, Mac OsX 10.4.3
i really dnt know much about speakers brand. hope some people can recommend good ones too. Maybe the bigger, the better. I use an old creative.

T

Tel

I second that. I have Harman/Kardon SoundSticks II, fantastic speakers. I also have the Harman Multimedia JBL On Stage speakers which I find are perfect for travel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I have a Bose surround sound system on my upstairs TV, which sounds pretty great. But, for my basement and the big screen, I use speakers from a small company called Paradigm. These blow away my bose system, the best speakers I've ever used.

I don't have a system set specifically for my computer, but occasionally I run music off my powerbook to both systems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4GHz (AL) iMac+
I have polk audio...only running Stereo setup. I'm thinking of going Paradigm's HIB 6.1 (HomeTheater-in-a-Box)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
bembol said:
I have polk audio...only running Stereo setup. I'm thinking of going Paradigm's HIB 6.1 (HomeTheater-in-a-Box)

I have a Denon reciever with my Paradigm speakers, so I can't speak specifically for the whole "In a Box" setup. But as I said, the Paradigms I have are awesome, so I'd be sold on anything from that company.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
rs2sensen said:
I have a Denon reciever with my Paradigm speakers, so I can't speak specifically for the whole "In a Box" setup. But as I said, the Paradigms I have are awesome, so I'd be sold on anything from that company.

That is a nice system. Those are great and accurate speakers. You run your computers audio through it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I occasionally do. I have an adapter that lets me run my mini jack on the Powerbook into it. At some point, I'll go airtunes, but for now, this works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, I forgot. I also have a set of Infinity's in my bedroom, hooked up to a Sony receiver.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
In terms of compact systems, I also love the H/K Soundsticks II, but JBL's encounter speakers are better sonically IMO. But they also look odd, so I'd probably still go for harmon kardons :)

Also worth checking out are Creative's Z series. They have several decent setups for computer systems, some that are even THX certified.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Some of the higher end creatives are quite good especially for computer speakers. Klipsch are very good also but expensive for the 5.1's. I would say from all I have heard, the Klipsch top computer speakers are one of the most accurate without going real audiophile speakers.

Some of the Logitech's are good but they tend to be quite HEAVY on the BASS end. Too boomy. Sound great on games though, but for accurate music reproduction are a bit colored. If you want first rate reproduction of Music and and not just good sound on games, Real audiophile speakers and a separate reciever/Amplifier is the way to go.

I have some Logitechs for my game system, but for music use my frontroom stereo with JBL Control room Monitors and separate sub and Amp/Preamp.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.