Old MacBook Pro HDD (removed) not mounting on new iMac i3

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm trying to retrieve files from an old MacBook Pro laptop. The machine died and would not even go into target mode to retrieve the data. The insurance company sent the HDD back along with a cable to connect to the new mac. Only the drive is not visible or mounting on the desktop.

My gut instinct is that it's a OS compatibility issue the new iMac i3 is on Snow Leopard the old HDD - Tiger, its been plugged into an older still iMac G5 running Puma and still no sign of it.

Any help would be hugely appreciated, I'm not sure which is the best way to tackle it. The only other machine I have available is a Window Vista laptop with USB & ethernet but no firewire.

Sib

OP
S
Reaction score
As I couldn't come up with any logical reasons for this not to work and I didn't want to start taking a MacBook Pro apart to swap the drives.

I opened the Hard Disk enclosure unit - the insurance company had installed it badly, contacts not in cleanly and an identification label interfering with the clip. Cleaned it up, reconnected. Da Dahhh it mounted straight the way and now all photos are safely onto the iMac and backed up by Time Machine.

Phew!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for posting back with the fix. Looks like your insurance company needs to hire another computer guy. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.