Airport connects automatically even though I don't know the WPA password!

Reaction score
Hello

This is a very strange one. My Airport sometimes automatically connects to a wifi network (called 'virgin broadband') for which I don't know the password! This is very useful as I often can't connect to my own Airport Express wifi from my garden office, so this 'imposter' network gives me the internet access I need.

But often it doesn't automatically connect and when I try to connect manually, it asks for a WPA Personal password - which I don't know, and which my computer seems to forget!

To make matters even more confusing, when it has automatically connected (as right now, for instance!), I can't find out what the password is. I select 'virgin broadband' in 'System Preferences - Network', select 'Edit'... and the 'password' box is completely empty!

Can anyone tell me what is going on, and how I might discover the password? One final thing - my own internet provider is Virgin Broadband - is it at all possible that my Airport Express is somehow still pushing out a wifi signal under the generic 'Virgin Broadband' name, as well as the wifi account I have configured myself - and that that is the signal my Airport picks up sporadically?!

Any help very gratefully accepted!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.