Simple question about port fowarding and default server

aeg

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've got a problem with my Airport Extreme. Behind my airport extreme are a few devices that need some special configuration. An xbox 360 that needs an 'Open NAT' for gaming, and a Mac Mini server (usenet/torrent + media center) that needs a few ports forwarded for web interfaces.

The xbox 360 has to be set as default server for the NAT, if it isn't (and even if I forward the ports it needs and enable UPnP), it complains about a moderate or strict NAT. So the ideal thing here is to set the xbox 360 as default server.

In my understanding, a default server is where all ports are redirected to, standard. But I need a few ports (like 8081, to be redirected to my mac mini).

I assumed when setting up the 360 as a default server, and adding the port forwarding rules, I would be able to access the web interfaces from a remote location. But that's not possible. It's as if the default server overrides any specific port-forwarding rules. Is that correct?

If so, how could I solve this problem? The web interfaces are always accessed through a certain domain name. Could I route any requests through that domain name to the mini or something?

Thanks in advance for your time.
Regards,
Jan

OP
A

aeg

Reaction score
Turns out it was working all along. My ISP changed my IP address which caused the problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Consider running dyndns - and pointing to your registered address instead of an ip address - this should alleviate those kinds of problems.
DynDNS.com - Free Domain Name, Managed DNS, Email Services

For completeness - on most routers you can have a default server and still have some NAT translations going to other computers. But I don't think you can route to both unless you get really fancy. I have not tried on the apple products but my netgear lets me put machines in the dmz - letting all ports get hit - but still lets me setup port forwarding certain ports. I don't believe those port forwarded ports go to the dmz machine anymore. So I don't think I could run 2 ssh servers on the same router (without some extra hardware)

OP
A

aeg

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I've already had dyndns for a while (I believe the Airport Extreme even updated the dyndns provider, didn't even need to install it on the Mini) but I've changed to one of my own domain names recently. Since I have a static IP it's not much of a problem. I made some recent changes in my network that caused a reset and caused the IP to change, so that's where the problem did arise.

Reaction score
question about gmail forwarding to my macmail inbox

Hi there. can someone tell me how to synch my gmail account to my macmail (not a mobile me account) but my inbox on my mac? I just moved to a new state where the verizon internet doesn't work; so I had to tell everyone a new email address...and now I don't know how to get my gmail to my mac.

I'm not at all technical; so if any kind folks out there can give me step by step info that would be great!

thanks!
monganui:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.