MIFI modem used in Florence with iphone

Reaction score
My daughter is studying in Florence for 4 months and wants to use her 3GS iphone. If only she could get unlimited data usage she would barely use her telephone (rates per min are crazy) Having the internet access she would be able to text for free (whatapp) & call for free (Skype) not to mention have access to Google maps, etc.

If I buy a MIFI modem can it be used on it's own or do you still have to be connected to a plan of some kind?

I know she'd have to get the iphone unlocked and then get a local SIM card.

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question but I'm really looking for a solution and I've been unsuccessfully scouring the internet for answers and I figured someone here would be able to help.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My daughter is studying in Florence...

- Florence, Alabama?
- Florence, Oregon?
- Florence, Kentucky?
- Florence, South Carolina?
- Florence, Florida?
- etc. etc. etc.

;););)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Florence, Italy

So sorry, we're in NJ and she is studying in Florence, Italy

- Florence, Alabama?
- Florence, Oregon?
- Florence, Kentucky?
- Florence, South Carolina?
- Florence, Florida?
- etc. etc. etc.

;););)

- Nick

Reaction score
Well, if you're referring to a Verizon MyFi, forget it since CDMA doesn't generally work in Europe.
If they offer something like that, she'll most likely need to get it in Italy.
There's no need to unlock the phone (which is most likely impossible anyway) since she'll basically just be using it as an iPod touch, just make sure she has cellular data turned off and doesn't use the native phone features

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.