ATV2 - Download Performance

Reaction score
Hi,

Over the Xmas holidays I rented a couple of HD films via my Apple TV 2.

However, I had to abort watching both films as the time it took to download the film meant it would take nearly 24 hours to watch it.

Another example was that it allowed me to watch half of the film and then I had to wait 3 more hours to watch the rest.

When setting up the ATV2 I did the internet performance test and everything was fine.

Does anyone have similar experience or recommendations on how to resolve this?

It's quite frustrating that you cannot select a movie and watch it on demand without having to wait 24 hours.

Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi and welcome to the forums siboveld . . . .

All im going to say is it seems to be a bit of a problem out there .. . . What sort of connection do you have mb/s ??

Ill get you to just have a look at THIS google page and you will see what im talking about. Then go and have a read of This Apple discussion in  Support . .
I think they need to get off there rear ends and do something about this . . .
! reason im not renting until they do .... Hope it helps some

Cheers

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Amazon does not have this issue either - rental or purchase - although you can only stream, not download, to OS X and you need your computer connected to the TV. Their downloads on a Win box for HD content are typically ready to watch in 20-30 seconds and only rarely do I experience a stutter once play begins.

Even using a computer with iTunes, whether Mac or Windows, you are never sure when you press that buy/rent button whether you'll get to watch it now or have to wait until later.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.