External DVD writer

Reaction score
I have a G5 IMac. My internal Pioneer DVD writer seems to have decided to pack it in. I opted to buy an external DVD writer so purchased a MacBook Air. Although it is a USB drive, I get nothing when I plug it into the various USB ports. Is there some setting or something else I should be doing? Help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I'm confused. Did you buy the Air as an external burner?, because that's how it reads here.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OP
C
Reaction score
I'm going to guess that he's referring to the Add-on Superdrive for the MacBook Air. And if that's true, it will not work with any old machine - it's specifically designed for the Air.

What the OP needs is a generic USB DVD burner like this one:

Amazon.com: Samsung USB 2.0 8x DVD Writer External Optical Drive for Mac and PC SE-S084C/RSBN (Gloss Black): Electronics

It was the add on Superdrive. I took it back and got the SE S084. I've plugged it in but it doesn't register. It just spins and the LED flashes. Is there some setting I should be looking at? MAC is foreign to me, being a converted PC user. Disregard. Silly me. I wasn't completely plugged into the USB port. It is working now. Thanks guys for your input.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It was the add on Superdrive. I took it back and got the SE S084. I've plugged it in but it doesn't register. It just spins and the LED flashes. Is there some setting I should be looking at? MAC is foreign to me, being a converted PC user.

Yes, you need to stop buying the MacBook Air add-on drive (any model), it doesn't work with anything other than the MacBook Air.

Check out the link Harry posted above, as you need a Firewire-based drive for your G5 iMac. That will work perfectly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.