iPhone Alarm issue

Reaction score
Anyone else having issues with the alarm in ios 4.2.1? Worked fine until 1/1/11. Now it will set, but won't go off...overslept yesterday...tested it last night and it didn't go off again. I've relied on the alarm on my iPhone for 3 years now!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

Mine failed this morning and my understanding is this is a new years issues as of the 01/01/2011 and Apple are supposed to be releasing a fix on the 3rd Jan tomorrow, but have read a work around. Select an alarm then edit and set alarm to repeat all days of the week, have not tried this as I am waiting until tomorrow also have the Alarm Clock Free app as a backup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
Mine didn't go off either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi evilgrimace,

Your welcome.

@schweb

Thanks for the clarification, I take it to get the fix tomorrow we just have to plug the phone in to iTunes for any updates. Or will Apple use a different route?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Apple isn't releasing a fix. It only affects 1/1 and 1/2. It fixes itself starting 1/3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Understand now thanks.;D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I manually set the date to the 3rd and it works fine. So agreed with Schweb. Tomorrow the issue will go away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Retina MacBook Pro, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD
Had the same issue today.

I just will call my office on the 31st and tell them ahead of time that I will be sleeping in on the 1st and 2nd of every month then :(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I turned mine to February 1 2011 and the alarm works fine. I know you were joking but figured I would try it just for the fun of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
Kinda weird. Mine does the same thing. Tried it today, didn’t work, set date to the 4th, worked. I never use the alarm anyway but it’s a strange thing.

Reaction score
my wifes alarm did not go off this morning on her iPhone. Before she comes home from work and beats me because of this, has it been fixed? They said it would automatically fix its self on the 3rd, but this morning on the 3rd it did not work.....

they need to fire that programmer, this is the 2nd time it happened.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mine started working today.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Some people have reported that you need to delete and recreate the alarms. Also, recurrent alarms seem unaffected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS, MBPro 13'' & MBAir 13''
What a complete joke if a phone can't even be trusted to perform some very basic functions like making a call (iPhone 4 reception issues) and now an alarm clock.

I'm a pilot and I can not use recurring alarms for the simple reason that I don't have to get up at the same time every day. Many colleagues overslept because of this alarm clock issue and some have gotten into trouble for arriving late for work.

What worries me even more is the arrogant 'Microsoftish,' attitude from Apple concerning any issues/failures.

Instead of dealing with these issues, they have the arrogance to more or less blame the consumer (they are not holding the phone correctly, they didn't set a recurring alarm, etc): an attitude that will come to haunt them if a competitor comes up with a better product.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Fulgurite...

Do you have an iPhone 4?

The reception issue is a non-issue, already been proven.

The alarm issue, sure is annoying if you're impacted, but there are dozens of other alarm apps you can download so it doesn't ruin your life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Schweb,

No I don't have an iPhone 4, but my alarm still didn't work.

Download other alarm clock Apps you say? You can't be serious... :Angry: Shelling out top-Dollar (or top-Euro in my case) for a top of the line 'smart' phone and I still have to download (and pay, I presume) other apps to make even the most basic functions like an alarm clock work?!?! You've got to be joking!

Besides, how do I know that those 3rd party Apps work correctly and are not influenced by other bugs?!

As I said before, I'm not impressed, and then I'm not even talking about friends who use iPhone 4's with reception-improving bumpers that, presumably, are not necessary because it's a "non-issue..." ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, for me it's also an issue of how Apple deals with criticism.

Sure, Apple make great products and the main reason I switched from PC to Mac was because of Microsoft's condescending attitude towards it's customers when defending their inferior products. I want something that works and I don't mind paying for it.

Unfortunately Apple is IMHO also slowly heading in the same direction as MS. To arrogantly say that customers should 'just set a recurring alarm' and that 'the problem will rectify itself on the 3rd of January' just doesn't cut it for me. As I've explained, I don't have a regular 9-5 job, so recurring alarms are not for me.

More importantly, can I rely on my iPhone alarm going off this coming Sunday when I have to report for duty again? On the 31st of December 2010 apparently nobody was aware that alarms would not go off on the 1st and 2nd of January, so how can we know that this problem won't reoccur again on some random date in the future?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.