Macook charger broken

Reaction score
Hi, the cord connecting straight into the bit with the green/yellowy light which goes straight into my Macbook has come lose and now it's really fiddly to get it to work and when I move the MacBook I then have to fiddle it again. I know it's only a matter of time before it stops working altogether. Annoyingly my sister had the exact same issue which makes me reluctant to spend big on an Apple replacement.

Is it possible to only replace the second half of the cord (the bit that plugs straight from the adapter to the Macbook - what's it called?) or are there any decent 3rd party replacements anyone would recommend? As I said I'm not too keen buying an Apple one as we've now had two bad experiences! Thanks for any help

btw the charger/macbook is 18 months old.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
They are called Magsafe Adapter..... Not sure if you can buy the part separately but what ever you dont go buying a 3rd party one. I have NEVER heard of them standing up to the test of time . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
If you happen to have Applecare, then Apple should take care of it n/c...

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks, it just doesn't make much sense to spend double on an Apple one when I already know they're such flimsy, lousy products...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks, it just doesn't make much sense to spend double on an Apple one when I already know they're such flimsy, lousy products...

It does make sense when the "knock offs" are worse. Buy a genuine Apple MagSafe adapter or get one from OWC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
My Dad had to replace an Apple Magsafe once, he decided to go for a 40$ china knockoff from eBay.
First thing I noticed was the cheapness of the plastic. It's weight was about 1/4 of the Apple ones, it did a horrible job at charging and 4 weeks later failed completely.
Needless to say he then went and got one from Apple and it has been working flawlessly for almost a year now.

OP
D
Reaction score
What are the chances that if I take it to the Apple Store, along with my sister's which the same thing happened to, that they'll give me a replacement despite it being out of warranty?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
You never know until you try. It all depends on the person you talk to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.