creating my own secure network

Reaction score
Hello, here is my set up;
main computer is a new mac mini connected by ethernet to a netgear router.
I am sharing that internet connection via airport / wifi with my macbook pro and android phone.

My problem is; it is not a secure network. I would like to add a password so that access is limited to my devices only. I think this should be pretty simple but I cant work it out :\

I have tried to delete the unsecure network and set up a new one - but I dont know the step by step process. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You need to set up the wireless password in the router. Have a look at the manual that came with your Netgear router, or go to Netgear's help pages for that model of router.

OP
I
Reaction score
I have the wireless router password, and we have a wireless network set up in our flat. The reason Im not using that is because the router is too far away from my room and the signal strenght is poor.

I want to share the internet connection of my mac mini with my other devices on a wi fi network, and I can do that right now, I just cant make it secure...

Reaction score
Turn off internet sharing and then hit the options button. From there you can set a password and then turn on sharing. Not sure how "secure" this really is but it will require a password to connect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
By using internet sharing on your Mac Mini you are running what is known as a Ad hoc network. As DaFlake suggested you can add a password but it is only WEP security - so in reality it doesn't really do anything for security other than stop the most casual of users.
How To Crack 128-bit Wireless Networks In 60 Seconds
Note I am not advocating cracking - I point to this article to show how easy it is to get the WEP password.

If you want better security - I would suggest getting an airport express - hook that up to the wired ethernet that your Mac Mini is currently connected to - and let that send out wireless to the rest of the house. You can then setup WPA/WPA2 with a strong password.

Reaction score
this is what i am trying to do i hope you guys can help me
i have a mac book with airport, i also have a new xbox with wifi built in, the only source of internet i have is my verizon air card which works great, i have played halo on xbox live by sharing my internet connection from my mac via ethernet cable. But what i want to do is share that same connection but with my airport/wifi and not have to use my ethernet cable, there is nothing i can find anywhere to help me do this. i have created my own network on my mac but still wont connect .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.