Iphone as wifi for ipad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
Yes. I do.
You have to jailbreak

The program I use is MyWi 4.0 - iPhone® WiFi Tethering and iPad®

Works great. Cost you $20 one time

Just be sure you have a charge cable with you, because MyWi will drain your battery pretty quickly. Also, even though I have MyWi and use it extensively on my MBP, it is against the terms of your contract. Also make sure you monitor your data usage if you're not grandfathered in the unlimited data plan....and even if you are on the unlimited plan AT&T can charge you extra if you go over 5 GB in a billing cycle (I discovered this when I was checking my contract about the tethering thing).

Reaction score
Just be sure you have a charge cable with you, because MyWi will drain your battery pretty quickly. Also, even though I have MyWi and use it extensively on my MBP, it is against the terms of your contract. Also make sure you monitor your data usage if you're not grandfathered in the unlimited data plan....and even if you are on the unlimited plan AT&T can charge you extra if you go over 5 GB in a billing cycle (I discovered this when I was checking my contract about the tethering thing).

There was nothing in my contract that said anything about a 5GB limit.
This is one of those things that's preached as gospel on the internets, but has no evidence to back it up.

I've had over 5GB repeatedly, and never heard one thing about it from AT&T.

I did get one of the letters suggesting that I tun WiFi on on my phone (it already is, there aren't that many WiFi spots here, and my 3G service is usually faster anyway).

There is not a 5GB cap on Unlimited data

Reaction score
I've never heard about or had any issues with a 5gb cap on my unlimited plan either. 5gb would nullify the "unlimited" idea anyway... Maybe it's like that old cell commercial where the guy says "mi-nutes, they're like minutes only smaller" :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
+1 for MyWi 4.0.

Works great. Never had a problem w/ AT&T complaining about my data usage. And the OP didn't state that he was in the US, so it may be a non-issue anyway.

It does drain your battery pretty quick though. Works best if you can plug it in so it charges while MiWi is running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
There was nothing in my contract that said anything about a 5GB limit.
This is one of those things that's preached as gospel on the internets, but has no evidence to back it up.

I've had over 5GB repeatedly, and never heard one thing about it from AT&T.

I did get one of the letters suggesting that I tun WiFi on on my phone (it already is, there aren't that many WiFi spots here, and my 3G service is usually faster anyway).

There is not a 5GB cap on Unlimited data
Unless your contract is different than mine, and I don't know why it would be, it is clearly in the contract. Go to www.attwireless.com and log in, click on "My Profile" then on "User Information" and there's a downloadable PDF file that is your contract. Once open, run a search for tethering or some of the stuff I quote below.

It's not a cap, but I read my contract and it said clear as day that AT&T reserved the right to add extra fees if I go over 5 GB of data. Here's the direct quote:

"If you are on a data plan that does not include a monthly megabyte allowance and additional data usage rates, the parties agree that AT&T has the right to impose additional charges if you use more than 5 GB in a month. Prior to the imposition of any additional charges, AT&T shall provide you with notice and you shall have the right to terminate your service."

It's near the bottom of page 11 on my contract. Now I didn't read all 20 pages of my contract, so I suppose this is in context of something else, but I don't think it is. This is the second time I've looked it up. It's not going to keep me from using MyWi because it's an awesome app and I have yet to go over 5 GB, but it is, in fact, in the contract.

*EDIT #2: I think this insert in the contract is simply to give them a course of action if it comes down to it. Before I installed and started MyWi I did ample research and visited many forums asking questions. Many of the posters on the forums said they used it extensively and routinely got in the 5-10 GB range, and they never heard from AT&T.

Reaction score
/snip...

It's not a cap, but I read my contract and it said clear as day that AT&T reserved the right to add extra fees if I go over 5 GB of data. Here's the direct quote:

"If you are on a data plan that does not include a monthly megabyte allowance and additional data usage rates, the parties agree that AT&T has the right to impose additional charges if you use more than 5 GB in a month. Prior to the imposition of any additional charges, AT&T shall provide you with notice and you shall have the right to terminate your service."

It's near the bottom of page 11 on my contract. Now I didn't read all 20 pages of my contract, so I suppose this is in context of something else, but I don't think it is. This is the second time I've looked it up. It's not going to keep me from using MyWi because it's an awesome app and I have yet to go over 5 GB, but it is, in fact, in the contract.
/snip....

Site was down when last I tried to access it, just remembered about our convo and looked it up.
The part you quote is specifically listed for DataConnect packages for laptop cards etc. ("DATACONNECT PLANS: DataConnect plans may ONLY be used with AT&T certified LaptopConnect (PC Data) Cards and other devices...")

The part for our phone data packages does prohibit tethering, but doesn't have anything limiting data:
Except as may otherwise be specifically permitted or prohibited for select data plans, data sessions may be conducted only for the following purposes: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, email, and individual productivity applications like customer relationship management, sales force, and field service automation). While most common uses for Intranet browsing, email and intranet access are permitted by your data plan, there are certain uses that cause extreme network capacity issues and interference with the network and are therefore prohibited. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; (ii) as a substitute or backup for private lines, landlines or full-time or dedicated data connections; (iii) "auto-responders," "cancel-bots," or similar automated or manual routines which generate excessive amounts of net traffic, or which disrupt net user groups or email use by others; (iv) "spam" or unsolicited commercial or bulk email (or activities that have the effect of facilitating unsolicited commercial email or unsolicited bulk email); (v) any activity that adversely affects the ability of other people or systems to use either AT&T's wireless services or other parties' Internet-based resources, including "denial of service" (DoS) attacks against another network host or individual user; (vi) accessing, or attempting to access without authority, the accounts of others, or to penetrate, or attempt to penetrate, security measures of AT&T's wireless network or another entity's network or systems; (vii) software or other devices that maintain continuous active Internet connections when a computer's connection would otherwise be idle or any "keep alive" functions, unless they adhere to AT&T's data retry requirements, which may be changed from time to time. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services, redirecting television signals for viewing on Personal Computers, web broadcasting, and/or for the operation of servers, telemetry devices and/or Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition devices is prohibited. Furthermore, plans(unless specifically designated for tethering usage) cannot be used for any applications that tether the device (through use of, including without limitation, connection kits, other phone/Smartphone-to computer accessories, Bluetooth® or any other wireless technology) to Personal Computers (including without limitation, laptops), or other equipment for any purpose. Accordingly, AT&T reserves the right to (i) deny, disconnect, modify and/or terminate Service, without notice, to anyone it believes is using the Service in any manner prohibited or whose usage adversely impacts its wireless network or service levels or hinders access to its wireless network, including without limitation, after a significant period of inactivity or after sessions of excessive usage and (ii) otherwise protect its wireless network from harm, compromised capacity or degradation in performance, which may impact legitimate data flows. You may not send solicitations to AT&T's wireless subscribers without their consent. You may not use the Services other than as intended by AT&T and applicable law. Plans are for individual, non-commercial use only and are not for resale. AT&T may, but is not required to, monitor your compliance, or the compliance of other subscribers, with AT&T's terms, conditions, or policies.

In any case, here's my usage chart:
Screen%20shot%202011-01-11%20at%2011.27.43%20AM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.