iPhone 3Gs doesn't connect to iTunes

Reaction score
... or iTunes doesn't see the phone - either way around I'm now at a loss.

This has been happening for a number of weeks (probably months) and the phone seems to only connect to iTunes randomly, usually after several attempts and disconnecting/restarting the mac and the phone. I have tried two different USB leads in different USB ports with no real joy.

The mac I'm using is a macbook running 10.6 and the latest version of iTunes (10.1.1) installed/upgraded today. The iPhone is running 3.1.2 - I've been wanting to upgrade the iPhone OS for days now but can't without the connection.

Annoyingly, I did manage to connect the phone this morning, before I upgraded to 10.6 but now, nothing.

I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or knows of a solution?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Has this connection issue always been present and mainly with your Macbook? Does it connect a lot more reliably with another computer? If not, perhaps there is some damage to the USB connector on the iPhone and that's causing the intermittent connectivity problems..

Regards

OP
F
Reaction score
Hi

thanks, it's not always been an issue, just over recent months - the iPhone will charge from the macbook, just isn't 'seen' in iTunes. I haven't tried connecting to another computer, except to charge the phone.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
It's possible that the USB connector is damaged in a manner in which the pins that manage to do the charging are OK but the others are not quite so, so iTunes might have a harder type "talking" to the iPhone..

I'd definitely try iTunes on another computer just to rule that out..

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.