Some help with recording vinyl please

Reaction score
hello, and happy holiday to all.

i recently purchased a record player and i am really wanting to record some vinyl onto my Mac. i plan to use an auxiliary cable from a "Y" splitter from my receiver which is an older model Denon AVR-600. the software i plan to use is Audacity. (feel free to recommend another) well i got it all hooked up and ready to go but when i started the music to be recorded there was no sound input. what i think the problem is is that the receiver i have is an analog receiver.

is there any way around this? (software..hardware)

any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Analog isn't a problem at all, so there is something missing elsewhere.
How have you connected to your Mac? And from what output on the Denon, and with what cable? Finally what version OS are you running?
Audacity is fine by the way, though my preference is for Audio Hijack Pro, and much more versatile program.

OP
M
Reaction score
Analog isn't a problem at all, so there is something missing elsewhere.
How have you connected to your Mac? And from what output on the Denon, and with what cable? Finally what version OS are you running?
Audacity is fine by the way, though my preference is for Audio Hijack Pro, and much more versatile program.

well thats great news!

from the Denon-

69591160.jpg

and then using a 3 foot auxiliary cable into my mac through the headphone jack (i have the jack set to input)

when its all hooked up and i start to play the music there is no sign of input.

i tried the same thing with my iPhone just using the auxiliary cable and i was getting input into my mac so..

oh and from the VCR output..stupid me, i just noticed there looks like another output for audio only. lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
A lot of record players typically do not have an active preamp to power the output signal so it can be heard.

If your player doesn't have a preamp, you'll need some sort of amplification to bring it to line level, so your Mac recognizes an input signal.

If you run your record player into a stereo receiver/amp (or audio interface, which is usually USB or Firewire), then into the line in, it should pick up the signal.

Also, try checking the in/output settings within Audacity to see if they are set to the correct ins and outs. I've never used Audacity, so I don't really know the program that well, but there are lots of others here who do, and I'm sure their support site can offer some input.

With your receiver, plug the output of the record player to an input that has an audio-out channel. Connect that output channel to the input of your Mac, and it SHOULD work okay, just watch your levels.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Yes, you need to use an audio out line. If the Denon has a dedicated phono input that will act as the necessary pre-amp mentioned by Audio.Trench.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.