Mouse problem

Reaction score
My mouse does strange things lately - it goes to a link before I click on it. or sometimes the pointer moves around the screen when I'm not moving the mouse. Do I need a new mouse? or is there a solution to this problem?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Can you tell us a bit about your mouse? Make/model, any third party drivers you might be using? That sort of thing would be very helpful.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It's the standard mouse that came with my iMac - model A1152.

That's what is known as a "Mighty Mouse", and they do require occasional cleaning (see here for a video on the subject). Additionally, since it's an LED-driven optical mouse, it will be VERY sensitive to the surface you're using it with. Any sheen or reflectivity in the surface will cause it to jump. A lot of mouse mats tend to be reflective or glossy - if that's the case, try using it on a different surface and see if it's any different.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks - I had just switched to a new mousepad so I'll try going back to my old one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2010 - i5 Quad Core 2.8ghz
Very likely to be the surface you're working on being either too bland, glass, or maybe dirt getting in the hole where the light needs to get in and out. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.