What's the coolest feature of Panther ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Ok, what's the coolest feature of Panther that you have discovered since using it....

I would say that Expose is probably the coolest feature, and the one I use the most. As I've only had Panther on my laptop, I haven't really made too much use of it. But it makes things so much easier. Can only imagine what it will be like on my iMac.

OP
Emrys
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Alt-Tab is much nicer as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
i completely forgot to try out alt-tab when i was there today but expose is awesome

H

hokiethang

I like xcode actually. Expose is pretty cool, and its a feature i will definitely use, but xcode means i can finally get work done for class :-D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ill have to try out xcode but so far i love panther its so much faster then jaguar and the switch was painless

OP
Emrys
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alt-Tab switches between the currently running applications. Give it a try, won't hurt :)

C

christophermac

i think the coolest thing for me in Panther is the new finder windows, because it is easier & faster for me to get to my files, plus I love the fact you could customize it.

C

CMBlechar

Not sure what to say here ever since I updated to Panther my dock has been way slow!! So thats what sucks about it, but not sure if thats what caused it. and What is xcode?? I think that the new apple logo is the coolest addition. looks so darn good.

M

Mac Apple

I gotta say that exposé is my favourite feature.
was in photoshop, loadsa windows open, just makes it so much easier.

S

shadov

POSIX compliance and X11
Apple menu -> Location
exposé
spell checker integrated quite well into OS (I just wish it understood Finnish)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
S

shadov

Yes. I think spell check, POSIX compliance and X11 were too. But they are still cool.

H

hokiethang

StarManta said:
I can't seem to find Xcode.... where is it?
But yeah. Expose wins.

Xcode should be on a separate CD in the set. If not, I think its available on ADC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Emrys said:
Alt-Tab switches between the currently running applications. Give it a try, won't hurt :)

you mean command-tab :D (command is the apple)

S

StarManta

I have CD1, CD2, and CD3.... I thought CD3 was it, but I still can't find Xcode anywhere.
I got the super-cheap $32 "3 burned discs and a license" OSX... maybe it doesn't come with that deal? :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
XCode is on its own disc. There are 3 discs for OS X and then disc 4 is XCode

S

StarManta

Crap...
Well in that case I got shafted. I guess I'll just go torrent the Xcode disc like I should've done from the beginning....
I mean, uh, buy it legally....

L

lokerd

Emrys said:
I would say that Expose is probably the coolest feature, and the one I use the most. As I've only had Panther on my laptop, I haven't really made too much use of it. But it makes things so much easier. Can only imagine what it will be like on my iMac.

I really like expose as well...definately one up on the competition. Sort of makes up for the fact that you can see all of your open application along the start bar.

But I really haven't gotten used to it yet. In fact, because of this thread, I am putting small letter stickers (from an old VCR label) to indicate which corner is which. Not only do I frequently forget which corner is what, I also ACCIDENTLY trigger the corner when just moving the mouse, which is frustrating. Finally, I haven't even touched all of the other ways and features of Expose that there are...it is like I need to keep a screen shot of the control panel.

I am curious though, why do you think that the laptop is not a good way to experience Expose. I am on a laptop right now and am curious what might be different on an a desktop.

Drew

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.