minidvi to vga does not recognizes monitor

Reaction score
Guys, please help.

I bought a new Macbook pro, and 'minidvi to vga' switch. (one month ago)
When I plug my Nec monitor to it, the blue screen pops up for a moment on the screen of my Mac and nothing happens. In 'display' menu, when I hit 'recognize monitor' nothing happens neither.
Monitor is one year old. It's a NEC e222w..

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Welcome to Mac-Forums and Happy Holidays
Try restarting your MBP with the adapter plugged in to see if your monitor recognises it then. Reply with the outcome.

- Simon

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks! It would have been more happy if this switch worked..;)
I bought it for my father as a present and I've tried to solve this problem for two days.

Anyway, restarting Mac does not help. When system loads, blue screen appears for a moment, and nothing's detected.

This is the one I have:

Apple Hsmdp03 Mini Displayport - Vga

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Apple released a firmware update for their adapter. If this is the Apple adapter, plug everything in, including having the TV on. Then run software update to see if it finds the firmware update.

If it doesn't find the update or it's not the Apple branded one, I'd return it and get another.

I am assuming this is a known working VGA cable and monitor and you have changed it's input to VGA.

(just friendly fyi: this would be called an adapter vs a switch)

ps: if Apple had to come out with new firmware for their adapter, it's possible other's have also. Might check the manufacturer's site. There is really not much trouble shooting to be done with VGA. It should just work. The only other thing you could try would be to reset the pram and smc. Only takes a couple of minutes, but I really don't think either of them will help. Sorry.

OP
K
Reaction score
Cable of course works perfectly with my PC.
But after trying to update, I get a message that it cannot find the minidv - vga adapter.

But as I see, there are lots of posts on internet, that people get this message after trying to connect this thing so I'm not so sure that it's a matter of this particular model. And it's original part made by Apple, so all the more it's unlikely probable.

I'll of course go to Ispot on monday, but for now Mac has made more problems than fun, actually.
Honestly I can't really understand this Apple's politics. It seems that they're trying to make money on making us problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.