Music Drops off With Certain Internet Use - Airport

Reaction score
I don't even know how to word the title, let alone do a search on this.

I have an Airport Express that is connected wirelessly to my network My Network i provided by my Belkin 54D and is a wireless N network.

When I play music through airport express and I'm active on the internet the music cuts off or stutters. This happens usually if I'm doing a moderating activity like moving a thread, or as in this Forum it's happening when I post.

I'm not that knowledgeable about Routers but I see another selection Belkin 54D 5gb available.

That's the set up. Can anyone tell me how I can overcome this internet interfering with the music playing problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I don't even know how to word the title, let alone do a search on this.

I have an Airport Express that is connected wirelessly to my network My Network i provided by my Belkin 54D and is a wireless N network.

When I play music through airport express and I'm active on the internet the music cuts off or stutters. This happens usually if I'm doing a moderating activity like moving a thread, or as in this Forum it's happening when I post.

I'm not that knowledgeable about Routers but I see another selection Belkin 54D 5gb available.

That's the set up. Can anyone tell me how I can overcome this internet interfering with the music playing problem?

I'm going to assume that you're using iTunes? I don't use it, so I can't tell you exactly where the option might be, but you could try seeing if there's an option to change the streaming buffer size. I used to have this problem with Songbird every once in a while and changing the streaming buffer value (to a larger integer) solved the problem entirely.

It is possible of course, that the issue lays elsewhere. Try that first and see if it helps.

Doug

OP
H
Reaction score
I'm going to assume that you're using iTunes? I don't use it, so I can't tell you exactly where the option might be, but you could try seeing if there's an option to change the streaming buffer size. I used to have this problem with Songbird every once in a while and changing the streaming buffer value (to a larger integer) solved the problem entirely.

It is possible of course, that the issue lays elsewhere. Try that first and see if it helps.

Doug

Yes I'm using iTunes, but I have no idea where to change the streaming buffer size. Is that done in iTunes?

Also I'm reading that changing the channel on Airport helps, but I can't figure out how to do that either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Yes I'm using iTunes, but I have no idea where to change the streaming buffer size. Is that done in iTunes?

Also I'm reading that changing the channel on Airport helps, but I can't figure out how to do that either.

A little Googling never hurt anybody: Quick Tip: Change iTunes Buffer Size for Smoother Streaming: Apple «

As for changing the channel for your Airport goes, go into your utilities folder (in Applications) and open "Airport Utility" Click on "manual setup" Look at my screenshot below

Screen shot 2010-12-23 at 5.14.39 PM.png

OP
H
Reaction score
A little Googling never hurt anybody: Quick Tip: Change iTunes Buffer Size for Smoother Streaming: Apple «

As for changing the channel for your Airport goes, go into your utilities folder (in Applications) and open "Airport Utility" Click on "manual setup" Look at my screenshot below

I'll admit it didn't occur to me to try to Google Buffer size, but I've been googling the channel change for probably 2 hours.

I actually tried the way you had a set up but I lost my connection completely with airport and had to hit the reset button and hooked it back up to my wireless network.

I suppose I could do the same with create a wireless network but as of right now I'm doing well. I followed your link on the buffer size, I'll find out how that does tomorrow, great idea. But I stumbled across one other piece of information that suggested one of the things you can do is go to system preferences, network, select airport and advance. Click on tcp/ip and select none.

I did that and it seemed to solve the problem. I went to a couple of the Forums I moderate in and did some moderating work and there was no stutter or sound drop off. So I think I have the problem fixed now, but thank you very much for telling me about how to increase the buffer. Excellent idea.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.