Problem with Macbook connecting to Airport Extreme

Reaction score
I upgraded the router in my home from a Netgear to an Airport Extreme because I continually had issues with my Macbook connecting (original 2006 version).

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it will work for 30 minutes or more and then all of a sudden, the connection stops. When I try to reconnect, it will re-ask for my network password (which is stored) and it will say "connection time-out."

I also have a new Macbook Pro (2010 edition) that works fantastic on the wireless network in my home. Other friends with PC's have little to no trouble connecting to my home network. Only my Macbook.

Not sure what to try... I've been reading forums on various sites for months looking for others with similar problems, but so far haven't found a solution that works. I've updated all the software on the Macbook so it should be up to date in terms of firmware.

Anyone with any ideas? I'm willing to try just about anything... :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Up until you mentioned that other machines have no problems at all, I would have guessed that you've got an interference issue. I'm not going to rule that out completely, unless you tell me that the other machines are being used in the same exact area as the MacBook.

Barring that, I have seen WiFi cards that get flakey with age, oddly enough. You may need to swap it out. Check here for the part:

:: QuickerTek :: MacBook & MacBook Pro :: 802.11 n Upgrade ::

OP
W
Reaction score
yeah, right now, the two computers are next to each other... my macbook pro is working fine... my macbook keeps timing out. this problem has been going on for about 1.5 years now... my first solution was to update my operating system. then i bought an airport extreme router... now i am still searching for a solution.

i should mention that the macbook seemed to work fine when i was on campus at a nearby university while i was in graduate school (i finished a year ago). the connectivity issues i have at home didn't happen there. in fact, that's what tipped me off to the idea that it might be my home network and not my laptop, since it seemed to work at places other than home.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.