What's going on with my network?

P

Perniks

I have a 3 MBPS cable service at home through Charter, but now that I've got my network running through a Apple Base station, the transfer rate between computers in the house is horrid. It's usually about 87 Kb/s. What's going on here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
3mbps(full speed) = 300k

Full speed is not always going to happen.

Lets assume there are 3 computers

300k ÷ 3 computers = 100k per (full speed downloading)

Try using one mac connected to the modem only and go to,..

www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest

see what the results are and post them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac no more - Sony Vaio FZ4000
Don't forget that Cable service works differently than ADSL. The more cable users in your area means the the more bogged-down your connection will become.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
MacsWork said:
3mbps(full speed) = 300k

Full speed is not always going to happen.

Lets assume there are 3 computers

300k ÷ 3 computers = 100k per (full speed downloading)

Try using one mac connected to the modem only and go to,..

www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest

see what the results are and post them.

Bandwidth over the internet isn't what he was specifically concerned about, but rather speed between the computers, which (for the benefit of others) thru the Airport would be 54mbps (Extreme, regular (older) base station is 11mbps) via wireless and 100mbps via LAN.

the transfer rate between computers in the house is horrid

Are you using all computers wirelessly? Or do you have one or more on the LAN side of the base station?

If wireless, what base station are you using, Extreme or the original base station?

If using the original base station, this could be as good as it gets between computers.

Make sure the firmware is updated on all computers and the base station itself, this may help.

Also what OS version are you using? 10.3, 10.4?

AND, finally, how far apart are the computers, and base station?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Perhaps try an open network, ie no wep. There is overhead involved when encrypting network traffic. See what no wep does for you.

If it is infact a LAN issue, how are you getting the 87k figure?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
3mbps = 3,000,000 bps

300kbps = 300,000 bps

i would reset the base station and set it up again. between the base stationa and the computer, there should be at least 100mbps wired and 54 or 11 mbps depending on which base station you have. cable is not subject to loading like dsl or adsl. if you are getting 87kbps from your cable connection to your base station, call your cable company. depending on the cable package that you have, the filters applied to the cable line can dampen the signal and cause it to be slow like that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.