performa as a project webserver?

C

creat10n

i picked up a trio of performas for nothing from a library the other day and i have aspirations of turning them into servers (apache/mysql/php). i downloaded YDL 3 but i can't seem to get it going. BootX seems to be corrupt no matter how i try to get it on the machines.

has anyone had any experience putting a linux OS on a performa?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
no, but i have put YDL 2.1 on an apple 7200. bootx had some problems, but after i installed it a second time, it kinda works ... do you have it set to be dual bootable? if so, what mac os ?

OP
C

creat10n

i haven't had a lot of time to work with it, but they came with a stripped down version of 8. i don't have it dual boot, i was hoping to find a way to just make it linux, no dual boot.

these performas are 6290CDs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
If you get linux on one of them, they would probably make great a "developement" environment. I wish I had some spare Macs to do this with. Right now I am running apache/mysql/php on a spare PII 500 or something. Works great...

I've installed YD3 on my iMac, but that doesn't help you really. I think MacAddikt is definitely the one to talk to about this. He has that old machine that he keeps around for such things, I believe.

OP
C

creat10n

well after tinkering around with it here and there, i finally found on YDL's site that the 6250 WILL NOT run YDL under any circumstance.

so

any recommendations as to a free linux distro that WILL run on a 6250?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.