Hierarchical listing of Control Panel? Moving utlitity icons?

L

lokerd

Hello. Sorry if this is a FAQ. I am REALLY missing my old hiearchical menus of OS9. Visiting the Apple Store in Houston was VERY helpful to pick up some tips on getting used to OS10. I have also been using the tip somebody posted here with all of the shortcuts for OS10.

Anyway, I have a couple of DODO OS 10 questions.

1. How can I get my System Prefrences to be availble in the dock like the folders I have created that I just click and HOLD and wait for the pop up hiearchical listing?

2. Can I move the icons in the utility folder around into another folder? Like putting all of the server admin tools in their own folder?

Thanks for any feedback!

Drew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
in os 9, control panels were seperate tasks in the operating system, where as in os x they are tasks of the system preferences application. im not sure you can rearrange the icons unless you actually hack the code of the sytem preference application. you can view the standard ones under /System/Library/System Preference Panes .. i would suggest not messing with these.. or they might be under /Library/Preferences Panes ... not on my mac right now... if you add some under Home/Library/PreferencePanes, System Preferences will add them under a section labeled "Other" ...

You cant put them in the dock that i know of, besides adding the folder to the dock. ill try it when i get home and let you know more.

ps.. ill be at the houston apple store tonight, for night of the panther

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
You can use this little utility:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20357

And yeah you can move the programs around wherever you would like, although whenever you download an update.. a couple programs have automatic installation areas so you might have to drag them and put them in the new place manually.

Cheers!

OP
L

lokerd

MacAddikt said:
not sure you can rearrange the icons unless you actually hack the code of the sytem preference application.
ps.. ill be at the houston apple store tonight, for night of the panther

Actually, I was talking about the "Utlity" folder in the Applications folder. I just wanted to make sure it was ok to move those...not sure if those are icons.

WOW!! I actualy live in Beaumont...was in Houston last weekend looking at G4 12" that was delivered on Wednesday.

Have fun. If I didn't have so much todo this evening, I think I would drive over for it...especially if I could get my upgrade copy.

Drew

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.