playlist issues

C

creat10n

i think i figured out what i need to do, but it's going to be a pain in the butt to do it.

i have all of my music files stored on my new 40GB iPod. they were previously on a network drive, but they were taking up too much space. i can create playlists from folder drops into iTunes easily as i had done before, but when i try to put those playlists on the iPod so i can play them back when i'm out and about, it makes duplicate files and clogs my iPod.

the obvious answer of what to do is to copy everything back over to the network drive, create playlists in iTunes of all my folders and then let iTunes copy the music to the iPod. the problem is, i use some of these files with DJ software that requires the files to be readily available on the filesystem, which is apparently not the case when copying files via iTunes?

how do i get these playlists to read from locations within the mac filesystem portion of the iPod?

thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
Welcome to Mac-Forums!

are you on a mac or pc?

OP
C

creat10n

sorry, i sometimes forget that you can use iPods with Windows.

MacOS 10.2.8, iTunes 4.1, iPod software 2.0.1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
im not sure why its duplicating the files on your ipod, unless you have it set to automatically sync with your ipod when you plug it in. what do you have set as your music library for itunes?

for the dj software, can you set the path to the files, or do you have to click on it to choose?

OP
C

creat10n

i don't have it set to sync automatically, but when i take a playlist in iTunes and drop it on the icon for my iPod in the playlist frame, it copies it to the iPod, i assume into a hidden folder. looking at the other threads in this forum, perhaps my solution is to use a file utility to unhide the hidden folders and play around with them, like using a folder of music in the hidden area as the source of an iTunes playlist, then when i add it to the iPod playlists it will just keep them in the same place?

i'm still pretty new to this whole iPod thing, i don't completely know how it works...

the software i use is based on a file system browser, so i wouldnt' be able to use it with the hidden folders...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.