• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Demand for all-in-one PCs surges as Apple's iMac leads the way

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Haha, exactly. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
At last!

The PC industry is catching up with mid nineties Performa all in ones.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
In a sense a Laptop is an all in one PC. So this is, perhaps, a result of the general trend toward Laptops as main computers. I have a Mac mini, but my MBP is my primary computer and I suspect most of us are going (or have already gone) that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not for this duck with all that minaturisation and failed optical and hard drives. Go through the threads.

Mac Pro forever!

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Not for this duck with all that minaturisation and failed optical and hard drives. Go through the threads.

Mac Pro forever!

So? I've had failed optical drives and hard drives in imacs before. And I replaced them (older than 3 years old imacs) really easily. So with a good time machine backup I don't see the issue.

You can have your Mac Pro. But a lot of people prefer the ease of an all in one.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Computing still comes down to individual needs and what they are using the computer for.

The iMac is a nice all in one package but it still uses a lot of the notebook components which are clocked down versions of the desktop versions.

It's not for everyone but it would be my everyday computer for basic computing at home if I didn't need mobility.

For work I would use the Mac Pro obviously and on the go the MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
It's cool that it's up, but I still prefer computers...desktops that are separate(pc plus a monitor). That way, you aren't paying twice for a screen next time you buy it.

I also agree that notebooks/big laptops should also count as an all-in-one. In fact, it's probably more than that, because it's also portable. I guess that's why it has its own classification as notebook/laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lol the iMac uses laptop optical drives which fail more often than towers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Well I think the numbers aren't really telling the whole story at least on the Mac side of the issue. On Mac desktops it's not too surprising that iMacs are getting most of the sales because the two non all-in-one desktops have flaws about them that keeps it from getting more sales.

For example the Mini is more of a budget computer so anyone looking for more power isn't going to want it. The Mac Pro is too extreme in the opposite direction. It has the performance people want and can be better customized but it's extremely expensive and out of the budget of most users. I wonder how sales records might change if Apple offered a Mac Pro in the same price category as the current iMacs?

I agree with idrinorbarsaku about preferring the option to use my own monitor. With iMacs you are stuck with the monitor whether you like it or not. I've read about some people liking the smaller 21 screen but wanting the better performance of the 27 iMac. They buy it because they have no other options and not because they prefer it more. The sales numbers don't always give you the whole story. Also if they do like the monitor then they basically throw it away when they get a new computer. People who complain about the tiny fonts on the 27 iMac wouldn't have a problem if they used their own old monitors with lower resolutions.

Of course on notebooks we have learned to put up with the no other choices for screens when we actually use it as a portable device but the biggest problem I have with all-in-ones is that you have to like everything about it or else you are stuck with limited options.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
EndlessMac

What about the people who want a powerful computer but don't want to customise their computer. Some people just want to plug in a computer and have it work. No having to worrying about fiddling with parts. And the i7 Imac is pretty powerful in it's own right.

I do agree with you that some people want an Apple tower but are turned off by the cost. But I am sure others actually want a powerful all in one and have got it. And the limited options are not really an issue with Apple. Cause those limited options can do everything the average user (and most of the power user's) daily tasks without a sweat. Heck even in my 5 year old imac I can still edit photos and music and do a heap of crazy things.

So I think the imac's success is partially the lack of a reasonably priced tower + the fact some people actually want an all in one computer. I know I do. Even with all of it's drawbacks I like them. I've never owned a tower. Every one was an all in one. And space too. I don't have the space in my room to put a tower. But my imac fits nicely on my desk.

Even some of my PC using friends are like "ok nice screen, a little fat though, now where's the computer?". And when I tell them that it is the computer too they are like *** wow. Even after I tell them it's a desktop computer made with the highest quality notebook parts they are still amazed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I'm not saying that there aren't people who want an iMac or an all-in-one computer for what it is. What I'm saying is that I think part of the popularity in sales of the iMac is because there isn't a reasonably priced Mac tower as an alternative.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Apple iMac 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3, 4Gb RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512Mb, 1TB HDD
Lol the iMac uses laptop optical drives which fail more often than towers!

bollocks!! - there was maybe a time (a long time ago!) that might have been true.. but now there is probably little (if anything) between the failure rates of a tower and laptop drive.. the mean reason laptop optical drives fail are due to overheating or stress/impact related failures.. these don't occur on an iMac! ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.