• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

S-VHS to Digital - Advice Needed

Reaction score
Hello All!

My first post and not very computer/video literate, so bear with me and thanks in advance for any and all help!

After reading lots of info from various sites, I still have unanswered questions. I have several dozen 20 to 25 year old Super VHS (SVHS) home movies that I want to save to digital sources before they degrade. The tapes have been properly stored and after watching a 25 year old one a few months ago, the video and audio appears intact. I'd like the transfer to be of high quality without having to spend more than a few hundred on equipment or have them professionally done.

The equipment I have on hand is as follows:

JVC SVHS HR-S3902U HiFi VCR (Composite video/audio, S-Video and AV Compulink)
MacBook Pro 13" (3 months old with firewire)
Canon Vixia HV30 HDV Camcorder (A/V Out, Component Out, HDV/DV, HDMI Out)
Sony DCR-TRV140 Digital8 Handycam (S-Video Out, A/V Out, DV In/Out)
Pinnacle Dazzle DVC 170

I bought the Dazzle product a year or so ago, at an Apple Store but cannot find online instructions for it and nothing indicating it can be used for Macs. Even if it does, is it a capable device? Many reviews of it seem to say it is marginal. I believe, but am not sure, that the Sony does not have pass thru capability. Is that true? Does the Canon have it? If so, will the picture be degraded since the HV30 does not have a S-Video connection? Should I try and get another camera with pass thru AND the S-Video? There is a Sony DCR-TRV530 available for $100 OBO on Craigslist locally, which seems to have pass thru? Go for it? Otherwise, seems like the only other option is a Canopus 110 (about $220) or 300 ($400). Many say the 300 is the way to go as it supposedly ensures proper video/audio syncing. Some indicate that the syncing on older tapes may be degraged? One more question....using HV30 to backup the SVHS tapes. Suggestions? Thanks again for your responses.....I will be deeply grateful if I can get this off the ground!

Patrick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the link to the ElGato device. I would probably pass on trying it out, though, due to many negative reviews. Quite a few folks say it drops frames, and/or the video quality is badly degraded from the original, plus the audio is sometimes out of sync. Also, your link to the software is bad.....takes me to a page to order HP ink cartridges.

I don't mind (too much) spending the $400 for the Canopus 300, if that is what it will take to ensure a clean result. Many say the camera route is the best way to go. Anyone concur?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I would say that the best way is to get a DVD recorder, and use your SVHS machine connected via Scart, S-Video or composite and record direct. Given the cost of DVD recorders these days it's probably the cheapest way to get good quality. I have used mine to copy some older VHS and they come out fine.
The Dazzle device is Windows only btw, sorry, but there are many like it for Mac, but they don't tend to be that good.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks, Kevriano, for your suggestions. My DVD recorder is home and I am traveling but will check out the prices at Fry's later today. Otherwise, I am still considering the Dazzle unit as it is, indeed, designed for a Mac. Here is the link to the unit I have:

Macintosh Video Capture made easy with the Pinnacle Video Capture for Mac

The install CD it comes with is labled "pinnacle video capture for Mac". The unit looks like the one in the link above except mine has "Dazzle" engraved to the left of the "*" icon. From the reviews I read about Pinnacle products, however, it appears it might not produce acceptable results.

Otherwise, I guess I could try and use my Canon HV30 as a pass thru? Would you consider buying the used Sony TRV-530 for $100 or less? Would it produce equal or better results to using the HV30 or the direct method you recommend? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I think the DVD recorder option is the better in terms of quality, as there is no transcoding of any sort, you get a copy of the source as is basically. Even a mid range recorder will cost you less than $100 now, and a cheap but good model probably $60 at most.
That Dazzle will indeed work then, but as you have noted, results are not too good. They are cheap(ish) for a reason I guess.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.