External HD 'disk not repairable by this computer...'

Reaction score
Hi, hoping someone can help me... I've trawled through numerous websites and although this issue seems to come up a lot i haven't found a definitive answer that works for me...

I have a macbook pro and two macbooks all with the latest updates for OSX 10.5.8. I have a WD Mybook Dual Drive with Raid (two 500GB). I use the Mybook to keep videos, music and my 75G iphoto library.

Last night i plugged the Mybook into one of the macbooks and the following error message came up:

'The disk "MyBook" was not repairable by this computer. It is being made available to you with limited functionality. You must back up your data and reformat the disk as soon as possible".

Fine, so after an unsuccessful search online for a solution I thought I would copy everything off onto another hard drive and reformat. Problem being, after copying 1G of the iphoto library a message comes up saying "Not able to copy as you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items". I've tried opening the iphoto library also but it won't let me saying "The iPhoto library is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have permission to make changes to it".

Sounds like a permissions problem then. I've tried Get Info and tried to change the Sharing & Permissions settings but it is greyed out and I can't unlock it. I've tried to repair it using the disk utility but it won't go past Verify after saying "Invallid sibling link - The volume Mybook needs to be repaired Error : Filesytem verify or repair failed". I also tried using the installation disk version of disk utility but it comes back with the same result.

I tried a piece of software called PrivilegeFix based on another thread's recommendations to try and sort out the permissions, but to no avail.

I'm hoping someone has an answer for my problem, as I'd really like to recover the last 8 years of photos i've got stored on that drive. It's set on Raid 1 but I don't know if that means i will still be able to recover them or not...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
To see all the ownership info, type this in Terminal utility:
ls -alOe /Volumes (and RETURN)
Please paste back all the output so we can see.

(BTW - this is a common problem when sharing an external drive among different Macs. The long term solution is to add a user GROUP to your user on every computer, making sure that the Group ID GID is the same on all. Then change ownership on the external to include that Group. I use "storage" as my external drive group, for example.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.