• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

End of a tradition?

M

Maxp0wer2004

If you've been on Apple's website, you'll know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, check this out: Apple Mighty Mouse. Unless Apple also plans to sell the old, one button mouse along with it, this is the end of the one-button tradition. So, what do you think? Is it the end of a good long-lasting tradition for Apple or is it a much-needed innovation?

I personally think it's a sad ending for something that made the "Think different" motto true, since now the only difference between the mice on Mac and PC is the new scroll that the Mighty Mouse has.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Until the mighty mouse comes as a standard part of any of the computer lines. It will only be an additional option.

I see it only as another choice for those, that don't like the one button mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
It's a much needed step for Apple, but it certainly isn't innovative. Multi-button mice have been the norm for a while now, and Apple's sticking with the one button mouse was just an anachronism.

When I bought my mini, I used the Apple mouse for a few days and finally couldn't stand it any more-- it felt like I was missing a finger not having the right click options (and I started out using Apples, the first computer I had that was GUI based was a Lisa 2/MacXL).

Reaction score
Maxp0wer2004 said:
since now the only difference between the mice on Mac and PC is the new scroll that the Mighty Mouse has.

Thats really not much of a difference considering it is pretty common in PC mice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
mynameis said:
Thats really not much of a difference considering it is pretty common in PC mice.

I've personally never used a mouse with a scroll ball, a scroll wheel yes, but not a ball. Personally, although I havn't used one yet and this is all just supposition, I think that is a pretty innovative change. 360 degree scrolling is a big thing when working with large windows.

I've found, that I don't mind having a single button on my Powerbook's trackpad, but I do mind if I only have one button when I use a mouse with it (or with my Powermac for that matter). I think this was a needed change by Apple, and if you only want a single button, I thought I read somewhere that you can set the software to only use it as a one button mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Maxp0wer2004 said:
If you've been on Apple's website, you'll know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, check this out: Apple Mighty Mouse. Unless Apple also plans to sell the old, one button mouse along with it, this is the end of the one-button tradition. So, what do you think? Is it the end of a good long-lasting tradition for Apple or is it a much-needed innovation?

I personally think it's a sad ending for something that made the "Think different" motto true, since now the only difference between the mice on Mac and PC is the new scroll that the Mighty Mouse has.
The old mouse is still bundled with new Macs, at least for now. The standard one-button mouse and wireless one-button mouse are still listed on the Apple store.

A plain single button mouse is still best for children who are just learning the coordination necessary to use a computer. And many adult users find the second button superfluous, if not confusing. Luckily the Mighty Mouse behaves like a single-button (scrolling) mouse unless the second button is enabled by the user

I think that this is an idea whose time has certainly come, and hope that it will silence the critics on this issue. Giving people a choice is a good thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
technologist said:
I think that this is an idea whose time has certainly come, and hope that it will silence the critics on this issue. Giving people a choice is a good thing.

Silence the critics... LOL.... I wish... The only chance of that will come when someplace way south of here freezes over.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I believe this is more for creating a choice as technologist stated. If you look at the wireless mouse. it have been out for a long time. When you buy a new system you get a choice of wireless or not. So I see this as another choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
mighty mouse

mighty mouse?

not so mighty with big cable sticking out from back

when wireless-it may be mighty

just my tuppence

regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Maxp0wer2004 said:

I wouldn't say it's the end of the one-button tradition...per default, the Mighty Mouse is still set up as one-button mouse with scrollball.
I think it is a great idea...when I got my Mac, I didn't miss the right mouse button, but definitely missed a scroll wheel. And I think the scroll ball is an even better solution.
It seems to me like a much-needed evolution, while maintaining the long-lasting tradition...and all this, as Apple always does, with style. :cool:
No PC mouse has non-mechanical click-buttons and a scrollball...so it is still different.

About it being wireless or not, well, that's a personal choice. I think Apple will come up with a Mighty Mouse BT, personnally, I don't really mind the cable, as it is pretty short and plugs directly into the keyboard. And it's definitely better for the environment than a battery driven mouse, as batteries, rechargeable or not, don't last forever, and are very bad for our environment.

OP
I

iMe

Warning: I use the word "Exclusive" alot.

I think the Mighty mouse will just be an exclusive product and not something that will become standard. I guess Apple thinks that if you own an exclusive computer like the PowerMac G5, you probably have some exclusive job, and there-fore you probably need an exclusive mouse like the Mighty-Mouse. But on the hand, the iMac/iBook/eMac is targets towards the home-users, and I guess Steve thinks that the home-users will still be loyal to the 1-button mouse since alot of home users dont run overly complicated apps.............Sorry if this comes off as stupid...I'm just thinking to myself.

Hear is an article on why Apple supposedly wont make the mighty-mouse standard.
http://www.gearlive.com/index.php/news/article/why_apple_makes_a_one_buttoned_mouse_01280820/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I've used mice with scroll balls, they s u c k IMO, I agree that this is an option, just like the bluetooth mice and is not a standard feature for macs. I love the one button mouse and have gotten very used to control+clicking instead of right click, which is annoying when you are working fast and mean to click the left but click right instead.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.