SimpleTech External Hard Drive Problem

Reaction score
Hey, I'm having an issue with my simpletech external drive...it's 640gb, has been running great for about a year now. Today I went to hook it up to move some files from my internal drive, and before I had the USB cable hooked up to my computer (MacBook) I accidently hit the One-Click backup button. I then plugged the USB into my mac, at which point it has failed to ever show up on my desktop. Aside from that, every time I give the external drive power, it beeps and makes other skipping noises for about 30 seconds and then stops. Unfortunately SimpleTech's manual doesn't help much for troubleshooting. If anybody could help I'd be grateful!! Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
That sounds like a dead harddrive, or the controller inside the casing has malfunctioned.

You could try t the drive in the freezer to see if that unsticks the heads, if that does work, get your stuff off because the drive is on its last legs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.