Data degradation on a HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4 GHz Intel core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 320Gb HD
Hello,
I hears recently that all data on a hard drive will eventually 'disappear' (after 4 or 5 years). We all know that hard drives will eventually fail and so it is vital to back things up but is it true that data will just degrade away? How do you keep data, photos etc indefinitely? Is it just a case of transferring everything to a new HD once the current one is a couple of years old? Do you have to run the HD on a regular basis to prevent this happening? I'm just trying to understand this so would appreciate any help you could give.
Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Five years sounds about right, but it is variable dependant on how it is used and what make the HD is, but sometimes they will last for 15 years really depends how they are used etc etc

- Simon

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4 GHz Intel core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 320Gb HD
What do you mean how they are used? Is it better to use a HD more to keep it functioning (like a car for instance, if you don't start a car for a year chances are it won't start), or does regular use wear it out more quickly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Yeah exactly like a car, you want to keep the HD running when you're using the computer, don't bother with putting the HD to sleep when idle, if you keep powering down the HD and then starting it again it wears it down (stop/start wear and tear), just like a car the most wear comes when starting the HD while it's cold.

- Simon

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello,
I hears recently that all data on a hard drive will eventually 'disappear' (after 4 or 5 years).

I can't tell you how many hard drives I have that are 10, 15, 20 years old...and the data is fine. Can data degradation happen...sure...but it's not like at 4-5 years everything is going to turn to "mush"!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.