New MBAir and Time Capsule

Reaction score
I've had a 2T Time Capsule for a while, and now I have a MacBook Air (MBAir), new release. I don't think I was always getting everything out of my Time Capsule, so I want to set it all up again for the best.

Situation: I have MBAir, Verizon DSL modem/wireless router in one, Canon wi-fi printer, iPad, and iPhone. Bottom line, I want to be able to print from my iPhone and iPad via AirPrint, but it doesn't work. I've tried downloading things, but nothing.

So, I figured I would connect my printer to my Time Capsule via ethernet, but I can't do that because then I won't be able to connect my Time Capsule to the Verizon DSL modem/wireless via ethernet. Old house and have to have them in different rooms because of phone ports etc.

So, to the point. Can I connect the printer to my TC via ethernet, and then connect my TC to my wireless internet (Verizon modem/wireless) wirelessly so that it will back-up my MBAir and my fiance's MBPro? Does that make any sense?

I was going to follow an old post (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ai.../104695-setting-up-time-capsule-problems.html by mojonandha), but it mentions connecting the TC to computer via ethernet during set-up. Problem is, my MBAir doesn't have an ethernet port. If I connect TC and MBAir via USB, would it be the same thing?

Also, I want to access the internet through the Verizon modem/wireless - unless I really would be better served using the TC as the main wireless router which would be connected to internet through ethernet to the Verizon modem/wireless. If just sounds like a lot of steps - and my fiance says her MBPro internet runs slower when we did that before.

I tried several different ways, but ended up getting locked out of the TC and had to hard reset.

And then, what is WAP2 etc. and is it easy to set up? I guess I have a lot of things going on here, sorry. I've tried researching, but nothing ever addresses my issues specifically.

Please help...

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I am sure others will chime in with more thoughts but here are a few things that I thought of while reading your post.

1. When you connect your TC to the rest of the network wirelessly that may deactivate the ethernet ports. It appears to do so on my 2 TB model which is a bit more than a year old. If I am wrong on this I'd like to know since it would save me a few headaches.
2. Could you connect the printer via the TC's USB port. I had my Canon connected that way for a time because I could not get the built in wireless network functioning. Mine actually set up easier that way than with the Canon setup.

The only issue I had with my Canon MP980 connected to the TC was that I could not access the utility that old me ink levels nor could I scan wirelessly.

WPA2 is a form of encryption that provides security for wireless networks. It is stronger than its predecessors such as WEP. It's easy to set up on most routers. The TC will even give you an idea how strong a password you have chosen.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
There is a method available that allows IOS devices to use AirPrint with printers that are currently unsupported. The original "hack" was apparently taken down by the developer at Apple's request and replaced with a different method AirPrint Activator Netputing. There is also another piece of software that I have read about but not tested I believe it is called Printopia.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.