Stolen laptop might be connected to my airport

Reaction score
Yesterday we had a home break-in and my roommate's dell laptop was stolen. Today, the internet was slow, so i opened my Airport utility to check up on everything. I noticed there were 2 wireless clients connected to it, but my computer was the only thing that should've been. (iphones, wireless printers, all other wireless devices were turned off by me to make sure it wasn't one of them). My network is password protected, so someone would need the password (which was saved in my roommate's computer) to access the network, right?

The unknown wireless client has a weak signal, so i don't think it's coming from inside my house. There's some sketchy people in the area, and my roommate's car that was stolen was recovered only 5 blocks away, so I'm pretty sure these thieves are in the immediate area.

I don't have a record of the MAC address of the stolen computer, so I can't confirm if it's actually the stolen computer or not.

Any wannabe detectives have any advice for me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Yesterday we had a home break-in and my roommate's dell laptop was stolen. Today, the internet was slow, so i opened my Airport utility to check up on everything. I noticed there were 2 wireless clients connected to it, but my computer was the only thing that should've been. (iphones, wireless printers, all other wireless devices were turned off by me to make sure it wasn't one of them). My network is password protected, so someone would need the password (which was saved in my roommate's computer) to access the network, right?

The unknown wireless client has a weak signal, so i don't think it's coming from inside my house. There's some sketchy people in the area, and my roommate's car that was stolen was recovered only 5 blocks away, so I'm pretty sure these thieves are in the immediate area.

I don't have a record of the MAC address of the stolen computer, so I can't confirm if it's actually the stolen computer or not.

Any wannabe detectives have any advice for me?

Call the police and see if they can trace it? :|

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.