Does the Time Capsule work without hard drive

Reaction score
Hi,

I own the latest-model Time Capsule with a 1TB drive. I wondered if I could take out the drive and thus make it work as an Airport Extreme (I only need it to generate my wireless-n network). The reason is that I don't need a network attached drive anymore and I want to reuse the drive in a separate FW800 enclosure for different purposes.

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
After taking out the hard drive the time capsule turned on but I am not sure it actually did anything. I believe there is actually some code that sits on the hard drive. If you look at the partitions there is the data partition plus 2 hidden partitions. My guess is that no it won't work without the drive in.

Unless you have a really busy network - putting the drive in a FW800 won't speed up access by very much.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi IvanLasston,

Thanks for the reply. i had no high hopes anyway. The reason I want to switch is so that i could encrypt my drive. As far as i could see, there is no possibility to secure my data properly on a Time Capsule (excluding Filevault solutions) like with full disk encryption.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.