Time Capsule as SOLO WiFi HD...?

Reaction score
Can I simply plug a Time Capsule into the wall in a corner and go—telling my MBP's Time Machine to use it for backups; what I mean is not connecting Time Capsule to anything but electricity? Can it function as a stand alone WiFi HD, not wired to a network or even the net?

(At this time my roommates are not at all interested in upgrading to an Apple Router....)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That should work. Are you going to connect the MBP to it wirelessly or by Ethernet? That will affect setup a bit. If you are connecting to it wirelessly it might be a good idea to perform the first backup while connected by wire. The first one can take a while.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks, Sly, good adivce. I have read that the first back up should be wired.

I've also done some research here on the forums, and found a recent thread (that you, Sly, were involved with too) that sounds like putting the TC on our wireless network would be pretty easy, and have better security... The thread is HERE

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
How are you connecting to the net normally? If it is through wifi - then you would have to disconnect from the normal network, then back up to your TC, then reconnect. You can connect the TC to your network in bridge mode and not have it do anything but be a hard drive. It is probably the easiest way to set it up - just a NAS. As Slydude said you'll want to be wired the first time you back up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.