Dual screen--I love my Mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
Just bought a 23in LG LED display for $150 to use with CS4. So I thought I try out my MBP 13 on it with DVI hookup. It's fantastic! I had used clamshell mode before with another monitor, but the dual display is much better in my opinion.

You can arranged the internal and external side by side or top to bottom. You can also move the dock vice versa. In essence designating which ever monitor as the main OS navigation. The cursor move seamlessly from one monitor space to the next, windows for apps do the same.

I have Windows 7 installed, so one monitor can be Window the other OSX. There was no glitches when I plugged in the external display, everything was up and running. I freak'n love my Mac!

OP
quin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool, thanks Ivan. Not sure that I need it right now though. May be later. The guys at Apple made it easy and quick to move the cursor back and forth between the displays.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You might or might not find this information helpful. ATPM 14.12 - How To: Taming the Two-headed Monster: Using Two Monitors With Your Mac It has a few tips in the comments section I did not know at the time I wrote the article.

Since I wrote the article I have found a way to independently change screen resolution "on the fly" via a bit of scripting. I find it hard to read the text in iTunes for example. I recently cobbled together a bit of scripting that lowers monitor resolution on one (thus enlarging text) before launching iTunes.

If anyone is interested I'll share the process. Major kudos to McYukon for pointing me in the right direction on that little project.

OP
quin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the resolution adjustments for each monitor is in the SL 10.6.5 OS Preference. When I plugged in the external and open up the Display preference panel, I noticed there were two independent resolution preference panel on each monitor. It wasn't relevant to me at the time so I just double checked and clicked it off.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thats right. There are a few other options with a second monitor that are not there with only one monitor attached. I hope I explained them well in that article.

What i have cobbled together is a way to change resolutions on one screen when I launch certain programs. I normally for example run one monitor at 1024 x 768 but that makes text in iTunes too small to read. my solution was to put together an Automator workflow that lowers the resolution on the second monitor, mounts the iTunes library then launches iTunes

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.