• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple bars Danish Android magazine from App Store

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Nothing but more "sour grapes". It's Apple's App store and they can do with it and control what they please. If certain members of the rag media don't like that, let them shop elsewhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" & iPod Touch
Nothing but more "sour grapes". It's Apple's App store and they can do with it and control what they please. If certain members of the rag media don't like that, let them shop elsewhere.

Your argumentation would be praised by the North-Korean polite bureau.
More like a "sour apple" to me. This shows a real downside to the tight AppStore regime.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Hmmmm. I'm failing to see the big deal here....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Hmmmm. I'm failing to see the big deal here....

Certain types of people like to turn everything into a big deal regardless if it's not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
That's nothing. I hear Apple won't even sell PCs in its retail stores!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" & iPod Touch
That's nothing. I hear Apple won't even sell PCs in its retail stores!

But they do sell pc's in the apple retail stores ;).

Serious: its not a deal breaker for me, but this kind of restriction shows the negative side of a closed system. There are enough benefits though. But just because its apple's store I will not applaud every move they make. On the other hand I will not buy another smartphone on the basis of this move...

And even when it is not a big deal, I thought it was worth discussing :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On the other hand I will not buy another smartphone on the basis of this move...

So wait, you're not going to buy another smartphone because Apple won't approve a craptastic Android magazine app for the App Store?

That statement seems to confirm what I said above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" & iPod Touch
So wait, you're not going to buy another smartphone because Apple won't approve a craptastic Android magazine app for the App Store?

That statement seems to confirm what I said above.

The two weeks I have been using my IPhone i am overall satisfied. Even though its not new or the latest version (its a 3GS) and not brand new. Dunno what I confirmed??

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
It's simple people. Can you purchase a Burger King burger at Mac Donalds? or can you walk into a Ford dealership and ask for a Holden car? Of cause not. No one stocks or promotes the competition in their own shops. And the app store is one of Apple's online shops. And they won't readily promote the competition in it.

So it's not Apple being big and mean. It's just simple business. No one promotes the competition in their own stores including Apple.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Apple declining the app did more good than bad for the magazine, otherwise, we'd never be talking about it. :p

Reaction score
I'm not really sure I understand why the app developer was trying to publish it on the App Store in the first place. Seems kind of pointless to publish an Android-centric app there unless your goal is stirring up a little controversy. Android versus iOS really gets folks going. Personally I think there is room for both to thrive.

We recently debated as an organization whether to adopt iOS or Android as our mobile government platform and a deciding factor was Android's open nature and the ability to distribute software outside the Android Market. In the end managing government software through the App Store was a deal breaker. Government likes to control their own software and distribute it through their networks.

Reaction score
Can you purchase a Burger King burger at Mac Donalds? or can you walk into a Ford dealership and ask for a Holden car?

A burger is a burger. Plain and simple.

And if the dealership sells used cars, then yes, you can ask for a different brand.

As far as this topic goes, Apple taking down the magazine's account (or just the app itself) only because it is related to an iOS competitor, that goes to show that promoting the competition will do no good, especially when the competition is doing what you're doing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We recently debated as an organization whether to adopt iOS or Android as our mobile government platform and a deciding factor was Android's open nature and the ability to distribute software outside the Android Market. In the end managing government software through the App Store was a deal breaker. Government likes to control their own software and distribute it through their networks.

The Feds, IIRC, decided to stay with Crackberry for the foreseeable future, at least the DoD did. I find it interesting that they worry so much when the Govy networks are so closed and locked down to the point that mobile users can't even read attachments (Word, PP, Excel) because they could contain something that might compromise the networks security. Seems counter productive to me (hence why I declined my crackberry when offered and make then use my MobileMe e-mail if they want to get me while on the road).

I wonder if Apple is or would be willing to make deals with Government entities to gain their business though. Did you guys even contact them and see?

With Android being so "open" and already being exploited more than the iPhone, security may end being a big issue for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" & iPod Touch
Will be interesting to see how this all works out in the future...

Will the iphone take up the same place as apple/osx has in the pc market (with android phone and windows pc's having the major market share). Seems a closed eco system inevitably leads to a smaller, albeit profitable market share.

History repeating?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will be interesting to see how this all works out in the future...

Will the iphone take up the same place as apple/osx has in the pc market (with android phone and windows pc's having the major market share). Seems a closed eco system inevitably leads to a smaller, albeit profitable market share.

History repeating?

I'm not so sure about that.

But even if it were the case, I would rather have something that is meticulously designed and had a great UI functionality than something that is mass market and mediocre at best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" & iPod Touch
I'm not so sure about that.

But even if it were the case, I would rather have something that is meticulously designed and had a great UI functionality than something that is mass market and mediocre at best.

I agree and its nice to have choice. Just wondering if Apple (for instance without Jobs) can withstand the pressure (stockholders) or temptation to change their course concerning the closed eco system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree and its nice to have choice. Just wondering if Apple (for instance without Jobs) can withstand the pressure (stockholders) or temptation to change their course concerning the closed eco system.

At this point the stockholders are not going to complain. The stock keeps going up as it is so whatever Apple is doing the stockholders are happy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.