Partition external HD to boot Windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 500GB 4GB, iPhone 3GS, 160GB Classic, 40GB ATV, 16GB iPad WiFi
Is it possible to use an external HD connected via Firewire 800 to boot with Windows on my iMac?

The reason I need windows is this:

I have a video surveillance system set up at my shop and I want to be able to view the live feed of it from home. The only web browser that will load the page is internet explorer. Obviously you cannot get that for a Mac so I thought to load windows on then I could view the feed with ease.

If anybody has any ideas as to how else I could view the feed with maybe a different web browser or a plug-in I am unaware of, please drop a reply.

Thanks a lot and happy thanks giving!!

- Mike

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let's get this in the correct forum. (Windows)

You can not boot any version of Windows from an external hard drive without doing some hacking. Because of licensing and activation, Microsoft has designed it so that Windows can only be booted from an internal hard drive.

What you can do, however, is either dual boot your iMac to run both OS X and Windows, or, run Windows using virtual software. (Parallels, Fusion, VirtualBox). Your iMac does have to be an Intel one not PPC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
I highly recommend Parallels, they have made some amazing changes and upgrades to the software!

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I'd suggest virtual box since it's free and you're only using Windows for such a small simple task.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.