Airport express and speakers

Reaction score
I just bought an airport express. I would like to know which speakers are best to use with this device? Do they have to be powered and can I use wireless speakers? Thanks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
The Airport Express has either a digital optical out or a stereo line out. If you are using the optical then you need a compatible unit that accepts optical (which is usually a receiver or all in one unit) - if you are using the stereo line out then it does require powered speakers - or again - you could use a minijack to rca converter and run it into a receiver.

I have a pair of wireless powered speakers that have a minijack input - base unit that I use with an airport express. It works fine. I also have Airport Expresses going to a Bose 3-2-1 system and another Airport Express going to an old Sony rack system. The Bose and Sony have a minijack to RCA cable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.