Adobe Flash Platform

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 GHz C2D 4GB RAM Nvidia GeForce 9400 | iPhone 3GS | TV2
OK so on the Adobe website under products there is listed the infamous Creative Suite, Acrobat and Flash Platform amongst other programs. Now in the Flash Platform category there is Flash Player and AIR under the client subheading. Then there's Flex, Flash Builder, Flash Catalyst and Flash Professional CS5. These are the 4 items my question's mainly concerned with.

Basically I don't really understand what the differing functions are between these programs. I gather Flex is a framework of some sort but don't really know what that constitutes. The Adobe website implies Flash Catalyst is a simpler version of Flash Pro where you can make .swf files without coding. Am I right in thinking that?

I want to get the program(s) necessary to integrate well with Dreamweaver and Photoshop Extended CS5. I want to be able to build .swf files from scratch, from basics, edit pre-made .swfs and test run .swf files. I'm not really interested in using .flv capabilities of these programs.

So do people have some recommendations for me? All advice is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Flex, Air and Flash Catalyst are more for building application type things based on Flash

Flash Pro CS5 is probably what you want

In either case, it is difficult to edit prebinded swf files using Flash, you really need the original Flash fla source file

But what are you trying to do, build simple flash adverts or trying to create a Flash site?

OP
archos4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 GHz C2D 4GB RAM Nvidia GeForce 9400 | iPhone 3GS | TV2
Designing a site. Originally I wanted it all in HTML 5 to save me having to pay for Flash, but I've since realised that was a bit naive as I really need some of the animation capabilities of Flash.

Reaction score
Why not just build the animation stuff with javascript like Raphael.js or something that is a lot less taxing on the system. you can do some really cool stuff with JS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I guess flash has this power to make your site really great! And the results are great!

The power of Greyskull is even better. Just sayin'

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.