ssd OSX TRIM possible solution

Reaction score
Just put a new intel ssd into my macbook. seems common knowledge that OSX does not support TRIM. Point out that i am a total newbie to this therefore render myself clueless. but i may have found a solution to this TRIM problem that slows SSD drives down. im sure that all u experts will shoot me down in flames but here goes. I set a 50 gig partition on my ssd and realised that it was filling up when i am not installing stuff...this must be the write thing that never gets cleaned under OSX due to lack of TRIM. monitored it using daisydisk and disk utility. daisy disk reported 16 gig free and disk utility recorded 24 gig free. selected my SSD 50 gig partition in disk utility and selected erase. selected erase free space. then zero out. ran it took 5 mins to do and daisydisk reported 26 gig free and disk utility also reported 26 gig free. one program reported 10 gig free space gain and the the other reported a 2 gig gain. using the xdisk benchmark utility all the write speeds seemed to improve by a little bit...and the read speeds stayed the same. this drive has only been in my macbook 1 day. maybe its a solution maybe its not. but both programs i ran said an increase in free space. any ideas ppl.....:) my only thoughts are that this is such a simple thing to do sum1 must have discovered this by now....

OP
C
Reaction score
i will read this in depth...all of it and all links...thanx...i read solid for a week before buyin it....its the intel x-25m. think its not a sandforce one..but its got summit on it that intel put on...controller or sumthing....but its as simple as this...if you click on it...apps...utils...games...etc...it happens.....it seems like read write speeds across different drives are faster especially in the write mode...well if i click install or open or anything...it just happens immediately...so if it was quicker u wouldn even notice....seems much better since i done this....time will tell.......how long does the slowdown take to happen plz.....is it like a daily or weekly thing.......???

C

chas_m

I don't know how to read the un-punctuated run-on sentence above, so I can't reply to that, but Steve has (essentially) said that TRIM or something like it will be supported in future releases, reinforcing my view that the technology is 95% ready for prime time but not 100% just yet. A little bit of TRIM support coupled with a drop in the price and I think we'll have a (small fun) revolution on our hands.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with chas_m with regard to future support for TRIM and price reduction. I've been tempted many times to buy a SSD but for the reasons mentioned, I'll hold off until next year whenever Lion is released. Maybe SSD prices will drop off somewhat by then...

OP
C
Reaction score
aye well english grammar was not me strong point..although they give me an o level... maybe it was out of sympathy..lmao...i been running this for few days now...not noticing any slowdown at all...its the same. u click it happens...although half life 2 ep2 is not instant...but so much quicker than b4. i have took benchmarks tonite and they do not differ from when i installed it till today...this apparent TRIM problem is invisible at the minute....

OP
C
Reaction score
ok ppl....an update.....been using this for a while now and using xbench to test the speed....there is nil loss at all in fact its quicker the more i use it......please note my macbook never gets turned off....just close the lid....for ppl who wanna buy an SSD dont let the TRIM thing put u off cos this does not appear to be relevant...intel X25.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Apart from grammar a typing program may also help.

Sure is hard work trying to interpret your posts Craig.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.