• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Needing info from my fellow members in the USA ... Re : Holiday :-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well time has come and im finally being turned out to pasture and my Ex has finally gotten off her a.$$ and is putting the divorce papers in.... Ill be FREE. . . . . . . FREE i say lol.
Well here lies the problem. I am going to celebrate at end of year with The Boys and see what else is out there in the big bad world of women.
But i do want to celebrate with my 7Yr old boy and have decided im going to take him to DisneyLand ??? Or is that Disney World ??? Or Walt Disney World ?? or Walt DisneyLand ??
As you can see i am totally confused. As a kid growing up, i always knew of DisneyLand created by Walt Disney himself and always dreamed to go to the place where dreams come true and where everything is covered in Faire Dust.

Now my question IS WHICH is WHICH and WHAT is WHAT ?? I want to take him to DisneyLand but doing research there is 2 or 3 different types of *Disney* park/resorts spread from a.$$hole to breakfast time all over the USA.

Is the true DisneyLand the one in Florida or is it in CA ??? Im buggered and feel as if i have been going around in circles. Wiki says BOTH of them are the biggest and the best ??
Please help me my mates in the States :) Please.

Is it all its hyped up to be ?? Is it worth $7k for a weeks holiday ?? Is there somewhere else me and my boy will have lots fun in a week ??
Needing help here people

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Personally (speaking from experience) Go to Orland, Florida, because there are so many other parks very close by, and traveling between is easy, and the whole place is awesome.
I haven't been to Califonia, which was the first park and was called Disneyland Park, it's just been shortened by local speak, because it's a heck of a long way from here!
Either way, your boy will love it mate, perfect age to go, and congrats on the divorce (if that's the right thing to say??!!)

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Either way, your boy will love it mate, perfect age to go, and congrats on the divorce (if that's the right thing to say??!!)

LOL It most certainly is Kev ;) Cheers

On the other info Thanks ... As i said im so confused and yea i thought the CA Disney was the original. Looking at going for a week so OTHER parks would be a bonus. Dont know if i could handle 7 days in one park and im not sure they are that big to be able to spend 7 days there lol

Looking at it the Hotel/Accom is going to be my biggest cost so want to get it right. BUT will be looking to fly in these new A380 Airbuses too as i love flying.
Chopper license is on my ToDo list lol
Appreciate the comment but not knowing all ( :) ) ill see what others have to say about the CA Disney :) lol

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Disney World is in Orlando, Florida. Disney Land is in Anaheim, California.

Been to Disney Land countless times. Not by choice, and it's not really anything special.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Been to Disney Land countless times. Not by choice, and it's not really anything special.

Come on CR ......... Its the place where Dreams come true, isnt it. Sorry i love fun parks. 38 yr old kid here. No matter where i decide to go im gonna have a blast, but its more for my boy :)
But i suppose living and breathing it, it wouldnt be that special for you.
My figuring is 600 million people cant be wrong ....

Leaning towards Florida ATM

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Come on CR ......... Its the place where Dreams come true, isnt it. Sorry i love fun parks. 38 yr old kid here. No matter where i decide to go im gonna have a blast, but its more for my boy :)
But i suppose living and breathing it, it wouldnt be that special for you.
My figuring is 600 million people cant be wrong ....

Leaning towards Florida ATM

When you practically live right next to DisneyLand...I think the magic goes away. I have some die hard friends that just love it and want to live there and all of them are girls. I have guy friends that are the opposite and insist that it's pure evil. >_>"

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you practically live right next to DisneyLand...I think the magic goes away. I have some die hard friends that just love it and want to live there and all of them are girls. I have guy friends that are the opposite and insist that it's pure evil. >_>"

LOL Funny ...

So girls love it aye ??? Hmmm Just divorced so this could be a good pick up line

"Wanna come to Disney with me" ?? LMAO :p

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL Funny ...

So girls love it aye ??? Hmmm Just divorced so this could be a good pick up line

"Wanna come to Disney with me" ?? LMAO :p

Better yet. "Let's runaway together, to DisneyLand." :p

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Better yet. "Let's runaway together, to DisneyLand." :p

LOL i like it ......

Wait hang on this is about me and my boy ...... Women have a lot to answer for ATM ...
Yea back to the problem ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
You only need to spend one day at any given park, but, in Orlando, you have the 4 Disney Parks, 2 Universal Studios Parks, and Sea World, so that's 7 huge parks to choose from.

Also, unless you're going over Christmas/New Years, Orlando hotels are dirt cheap. You can sometimes use Priceline or Hotwire and get 4 star hotels for $60 a night in prime locations. Any of the neighborhoods listed around any of the parks of would be ideal. Or, if you're within a couple miles of the intersection of I-4 & the Florida Turnpike, you'll be in the heart of it all. The areas down toward Kissimmee are geared a little more towards budget travelers--safe & cheap, but a 20 minute drive from the main attractions.

The trick is to check the Hotwire rates and then bid 15% less on Priceline. Usually your bid will be accepted, and if it's not, just go back to Hotwire.

PM me if you have any specific questions. I've spent no shortage of time there over the years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I would say make sure your Ex does not get everything you own in the divorce. Make sure you have a good lawyer. You can never be too safe I say. And once that is done and a decent (for both parties) settlement is done then party.

And enjoy your time in the USA and please give the rest of us Aussies a good image while you're there :).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Disneyland is in Commie-fornia and Disney World is in Florida. I'd suggest the Florida resort for a variety of reasons not the least of which are Animal Kingdom and Epcot Center. If you have Netflix, at least here in the USA, there are several DVD's available with documentaries on the parks, latest attractions, how they were made, etc... Many are the sort of thing you see on Discovery Channel and pretty entertaining in their own right.
If you like shooting, Orlando and the area have some fine full-auto shooting ranges as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
From what my friends tell me you need a week to see everything in Disney World in Orlando.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
You'll definitely need a week to do Orlando, easily. We took 2 and didn't get it all done.
Best time to go is before Spring Break in the US, as it's quieter so far less queuing time (we were told this by the tour guides).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have to agree with two points made so far:

- there are LOTS of other things to do in the Orlando, Florida area if the whole "Disney" experience gets to be too much. Of course there are other things to do in the Los Angeles area as well.

If you're interested (and get a rental car)...Miami, FL is about 3-4 hours South...and the Florida Keys (are about 1-3 hours more South) depending how far you go (Key West is the Furthest). I've been to the Florida Keys many times.

- I was about 23-24 years old when I first went to Disney in Florida...and let me tell you...the Disney park itself I found to be a BIG BIG disappointment! But that was probably because I was older. The "Disney" part of the part is really for younger folks...the rides in Disney really STANK. The other "parks/areas" at Disney are better for Adults.

I'm not sure what your budget is...but I would imagine that traveling from "OZ"...flying to California would be less expensive than Florida (unless you get some sort of special travel package).

Hope this helps,

- Nick

p.s. Sorry to hear about the divorce. I hate when that happens...but if it's for the best for everyone involved...then so be it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Best time to go is before Spring Break in the US, as it's quieter so far less queuing time (we were told this by the tour guides).

Definitely great advice!:)

@ TattooedMac: "Spring Break" can be anywhere from very late February to very early April...but is mostly the 2nd & 3rd week of March. So anything in January through the 3rd week of February is a good time to avoid Spring Breakers.

Also remember (for folks "down under") that January/February is the middle of Winter for us in North America...so Florida & LA are some of the warmest spots at that time in the US. So a lot of folks head South for vacation to get away from the snow, ice, and cold of Winter. Thus the Disney parks certainly won't be empty.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
What about .... DisneyResort in France, near Paris ?
Paris is a great city and DisneyResort is very close by.
You'll need 2 days to see it all.

Check it out on Google..... you'll be surprised.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WOW Thanks for all the great info people :)

You only need to spend one day at any given park, but, in Orlando, you have the 4 Disney Parks, 2 Universal Studios Parks, and Sea World, so that's 7 huge parks to choose from.

Also, unless you're going over Christmas/New Years, Orlando hotels are dirt cheap. You can sometimes use Priceline or Hotwire and get 4 star hotels for $60 a night in prime locations. Any of the neighborhoods listed around any of the parks of would be ideal. Or, if you're within a couple miles of the intersection of I-4 & the Florida Turnpike, you'll be in the heart of it all. The areas down toward Kissimmee are geared a little more towards budget travelers--safe & cheap, but a 20 minute drive from the main attractions.

The trick is to check the Hotwire rates and then bid 15% less on Priceline. Usually your bid will be accepted, and if it's not, just go back to Hotwire.

PM me if you have any specific questions. I've spent no shortage of time there over the years.

Cool will do that jay if need be.... My budget isnt low so dont want the cheapies as i like my comfort, especially on Holidays
I work Hard so like to enjoy my time and spend how i want. Will still check those to sites out, after i see what the travel agents can do for me .. Thanks for the top info :)

I would say make sure your Ex does not get everything you own in the divorce. Make sure you have a good lawyer. You can never be too safe I say. And once that is done and a decent (for both parties) settlement is done then party.

And enjoy your time in the USA and please give the rest of us Aussies a good image while you're there :).

HAHA ;P Nah all is good mate. That has all been sorted a while ago and to be honest i like to keep out of "The System" if you know what i mean. They can be more a pain than good in situations like this. We have been fair and in the end it comes down to my boy not suffering and being left without ....... We are both happy n still friends :)
If you like shooting, Orlando and the area have some fine full-auto shooting ranges as well.

HAHA nice addition. I can shoot things here in Australia, though and if i get edgy from here to The Golden Triangle i can shoot Rocket Launchers for about $2 a pop ... Spent 8 yrs in military and have played with everything there too ... Nice addition though as i said :)

I have to agree with two points made so far:

- there are LOTS of other things to do in the Orlando, Florida area if the whole "Disney" experience gets to be too much. Of course there are other things to do in the Los Angeles area as well.

If you're interested (and get a rental car)...Miami, FL is about 3-4 hours South...and the Florida Keys (are about 1-3 hours more South) depending how far you go (Key West is the Furthest). I've been to the Florida Keys many times.

- I was about 23-24 years old when I first went to Disney in Florida...and let me tell you...the Disney park itself I found to be a BIG BIG disappointment! But that was probably because I was older. The "Disney" part of the part is really for younger folks...the rides in Disney really STANK. The other "parks/areas" at Disney are better for Adults.

I'm not sure what your budget is...but I would imagine that traveling from "OZ"...flying to California would be less expensive than Florida (unless you get some sort of special travel package).

Hope this helps,

- Nick

p.s. Sorry to hear about the divorce. I hate when that happens...but if it's for the best for everyone involved...then so be it.

LOL Im still a big kid and still get a giggle out of playing *worms* hehe . With the price of our $ atm and the competition between carriers i think i could pick up a great deal somewhere ....

Yea it is all for the best mate... Jazz doesnt need to see his parents unhappy and atm when we are apart we are happy and my boy is my world so i dont want him to be bought up resenting people because of what his parents couldnt get right ...
The one good thing is i bought him into the world and i learn by my mistakes ... The next relationship will take me through to my dying days lol
Thanks for that :)

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You'll definitely need a week to do Orlando, easily. We took 2 and didn't get it all done.

Definitely great advice!:)

@ TattooedMac: "Spring Break" can be anywhere from very late February to very early April...but is mostly the 2nd & 3rd week of March. So anything in January through the 3rd week of February is a good time to avoid Spring Breakers.

Also remember (for folks "down under") that January/February is the middle of Winter for us in North America...so Florida & LA are some of the warmest spots at that time in the US. So a lot of folks head South for vacation to get away from the snow, ice, and cold of Winter. Thus the Disney parks certainly won't be empty.

- Nick

I have seen the Movies and dont want to get caught up in all that LOL Unless i was by myself haha

Ahh good to know. Im a hater of the cold and i still have to work around the School Holidays here. Im hoping and wanting to go around the May ish, June ish time. Need to do a lot more research yet but this is all great info people so i thank you very much.
The longer i wait as well gives me more $ to splurge on us two boys lol

This is all helping :)

Cheers

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WOW All i can say is in the Off season you Yanks have the CHEAPEST hotel accom going around ... I can stay in a 5 Star resort for about $160 odd a night with all meals included.

I can see this is going to be a heap of fun for me and Jazz. Flights ATM are looking ood for me too for around mid May.
Going to the travel agent this weekend and get as much more info that i can get out of them.... Passport Applications filled out today. Just need to renew mine and get my sons 1st ever

He is smiling from ear to ear BUT im having trouble getting it into his head that Next Year when we go is still along way off ... He thinks next year is about a month away ... He is right in a way lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.