Macbook not consistently working with one network, works fine with others

Reaction score
I'm having a strange issue with my Macbook when connecting to my home network. I have issues when connecting with an Ethernet cable and connecting wirelessly.

Periodically, the network will stop responding and I will have to reset the wireless or ethernet network adapter to get it working again, depending on which one I'm connected to. The weird part is the problem only ever occurs on my home network and works fine 100% at work or other locations.

I'm using a Netgear CVG824G router with DHCP enabled.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
That seems like a pretty old router. Do any other computers have trouble staying connected? What is really weird is that the Ethernet is having trouble. Usually that is rock solid.

I had a netgear router that was from the same time period. I didn't have it plugged into surge protection/battery backup - the quality of connection seemed to degrade for me over time and I ended up replacing it - as all devices connecting to it were having trouble.

When you say the network stops responding - does anything work like pinging a local machine or the router itself?

OP
D
Reaction score
That seems like a pretty old router. Do any other computers have trouble staying connected? What is really weird is that the Ethernet is having trouble. Usually that is rock solid.

I had a netgear router that was from the same time period. I didn't have it plugged into surge protection/battery backup - the quality of connection seemed to degrade for me over time and I ended up replacing it - as all devices connecting to it were having trouble.

When you say the network stops responding - does anything work like pinging a local machine or the router itself?

No other computer is having an issue on the network, only the Macbook is. Everything stops responding, it's especially annoying if I'm halfway through printing and the network stops :Shouting:.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.