• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple should be using Black Diamonds

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Why black diamonds? Well I'll explain.

We all know what a normal diamond is. Carbon atoms forged together in the Earth''s mantle over millions of years and pushed to the surface via volcanos, and deposited in the lava that becomes the volcanic rock we mine for the diamonds. So intense pressure, intense heat and time and you have a diamond.

But a black diamond is different.
Black Diamonds Formed Out of the Earth, In Supernova Explosions - Their origin is different from that of conventional diamonds - Softpedia
Pretty much black diamonds unlike normal diamonds (which are one crystal) are many diamonds fused together in a supernova and rocked to Earth via meteorites. And cause of the lack of pressure in their creation there is a few void spots in the black diamonds.

That's the basics out of the road. And now for the meat on the sandwich. Why do I think Apple should use black diamonds?

Lab Created Diamond Computer Chips
Scientists look to forge diamond computer chip
Diamond Semiconductor - Lowering the Cost and Improving the Quality of Computer Chips
Scientists look to forge diamond computer chip | TG Daily

Just a few links. All pretty saying one thing. Humans worked out how to make normal diamonds in the lab. Nice, useful for many things but nothing Apple would like. But they realised "wow this black diamond can hold way more heat inside it, and can vibrate at much higher frequencies before shattering then many other materials. And lastly it can have have an electronic charge passed through it.

So the scientists worked and worked out how to make black diamonds in the lad and made a wafer of black diamond computer chips. And they seem to me better than the traditional silicon in every way. Need less cooling at similar speeds when compared to silicon. Can get more Ghz before you fry the chip, and many more things. And the carbon used to make the black diamonds is all around us in the world. The only thing stopping these being in all computers is the cost. They are hideously expensive at the moment.

So that's why I think Apple need to be investing in black diamond chip/wafer technology. Cause one day the price will drop. Drop enough for it to be viable for the every day computer. And I so want to see an Apple keynote with Jobs on stage holding a diamond and saying "Silicon is dead". "We have the first mass produced diamond chip computer for sale".

I know this is many many years off but I can dream right? And what do you all think about black diamond chip/wafer technology? Do you think it's the right way to go?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I've been seeing recently a few articles mentioning "rare earths" and how the world is a bit reliant upon China for the rich resource.

If anyone is not familiar with rare earths, they are elements mined up from the earth, which is used in the making of many of the inner components of electronics.

The price of China's tech metal monopoly - Computerworld

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
As long as a company producing black diamond chops could be sourced in the US, I would be all for it, otherwise, I don't care. I happen to believe diamond chips are the future of chip technology, and see it as a way of the US economy getting ahead of the chinese' monopoly on tech...as iWhat said. Apple should create it and patent the crap out of it somehow!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
That's the first time I've heard of diamonds being used in computing. Seems like an interesting idea, and the cost of production seems obscene. >_<" If they somehow manage to produce it at low cost then yeah go for it. Would revolutionize computing as we know it for sure.

Reaction score
For an ordinary guy like me, that's some big dreams alright! But I don't doubt the world will keep on using the same chip materials if a more realistic and better material is developed as what the diamond thing is doing.

Never cease to wonder about the power of human innovations.;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Why black diamonds? Well I'll explain.

We all know what a normal diamond is. Carbon atoms forged together in the Earth''s mantle over millions of years and pushed to the surface via volcanos, and deposited in the lava that becomes the volcanic rock we mine for the diamonds. So intense pressure, intense heat and time and you have a diamond.

But a black diamond is different.
Black Diamonds Formed Out of the Earth, In Supernova Explosions - Their origin is different from that of conventional diamonds - Softpedia
Pretty much black diamonds unlike normal diamonds (which are one crystal) are many diamonds fused together in a supernova and rocked to Earth via meteorites. And cause of the lack of pressure in their creation there is a few void spots in the black diamonds.

That's the basics out of the road. And now for the meat on the sandwich. Why do I think Apple should use black diamonds?

Lab Created Diamond Computer Chips
Scientists look to forge diamond computer chip
Diamond Semiconductor - Lowering the Cost and Improving the Quality of Computer Chips
Scientists look to forge diamond computer chip | TG Daily

Just a few links. All pretty saying one thing. Humans worked out how to make normal diamonds in the lab. Nice, useful for many things but nothing Apple would like. But they realised "wow this black diamond can hold way more heat inside it, and can vibrate at much higher frequencies before shattering then many other materials. And lastly it can have have an electronic charge passed through it.

So the scientists worked and worked out how to make black diamonds in the lad and made a wafer of black diamond computer chips. And they seem to me better than the traditional silicon in every way. Need less cooling at similar speeds when compared to silicon. Can get more Ghz before you fry the chip, and many more things. And the carbon used to make the black diamonds is all around us in the world. The only thing stopping these being in all computers is the cost. They are hideously expensive at the moment.

So that's why I think Apple need to be investing in black diamond chip/wafer technology. Cause one day the price will drop. Drop enough for it to be viable for the every day computer. And I so want to see an Apple keynote with Jobs on stage holding a diamond and saying "Silicon is dead". "We have the first mass produced diamond chip computer for sale".

I know this is many many years off but I can dream right? And what do you all think about black diamond chip/wafer technology? Do you think it's the right way to go?

100% disagree... it's on the right path (carbon cpu chips), but graphene is the answer, not black diamonds.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.