should I re install iweb?

Reaction score
I am having seriously frustrating problems.

I designed a nice website for my youth group using iweb, and posted it online--not moble me but using an FTP client (published to my desktop first). No problems.

But after that, I have had massive problems of various sorts, most involving missing documents (PDF) and images.. every time I load iweb. I can go through, re add all the documents/images, save, close iweb, then re open a minute later and they are gone.. and not just htings I have added, but even new pages that I didn't modify at all.. just new page.. using template.. it will give me an error message aboutmissing files, and what I see will be a screen full of large Xs.

I worked wiht tech support who spent a fair bit of time with me, but in the end were not able to resolve anything, and blamed it on the FTP. but I deleted the FTP program I was using, tried anothe rone (same problems), deleted that.. and still have the problem without ever even getting to the FTP step of the process. I mean, just purely using iweb, I get missing images/files.

Tried creating brand new site, without very much info.. just a few pages, some with an image or file added, some without.. and had the same problem (so it wasn't a question of some problem with the original page).

meanwhile, the site which is live needs some updating, and I can't do it untill these problems are resolved!

will re-installing iweb solve the problem? is there something else I can try? I mean, at this piont, I don't seem to be able to do anyting in iweb without it becoming corrupted as soon as I close the program.:Angry:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like your problem is with your ISP not iWeb. FTP is not the greatest way to upload data in the first place, and if you have a slow connection that also doesn't help. Is the web space part of your contract with your current ISP or are you leasing space separate from them?

If it makes you feel any better, you can certainly reinstall iWeb but I'm not sure that's going to help.

OP
A
Reaction score
THank you. And this is what I thought at first.. but no, the problem exists even when I do nothing over internet at all.. after the initial posting of the iste.. the problem is within my own computer.. I do something in iweb, I save. I close iweb. I re-open iweb and it's all messed up. without FTP. without publication even to a file on my computer. jsut within iweb itself. either iweb is the problem or my files.. but the files have not bee moved, and ultimately it was even just newly added pages with NOTHING but the template (not even added text, just the template page as it first loads). I tried different templates.. same problem.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Go ahead and reinstall iWeb. Let's see what happens. Make sure you completely remove it first otherwise it will not reinstall. Which version of iWeb are you using? I have iWeb08 (have not updated iLife) which is basically the same as the 09 version.

OP
A
Reaction score
I'll give it a try when I get home. I have iLife (09). I am new to macs.. is uninstaling and re-installing a fairly straightforward process? I don't recall seeing a "install and uninsall software" option, but then, I wasn't looking for one.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Removing iWeb is the easy part; it's the reinstalling that may cause some work for you. To reinstall you'll need to use your original install media set that you received with your Mac. The applications (iLife09) would likely be on the second DVD. Here's a LINK to an article from MacWorld Mag which describes how to reinstall applications. That might help make it easier for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.