iPhone 4 and YouTube vids

Reaction score
Has anybody else notice that a lot of vids when played on the iPhone YouTube app looks like if they were recorded with a crappy cellphone? But if you search the same video on a computer it's even in HD!!! What the heck is going on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" (spring 2010), iPhone 4 16gb
Me neither, I am impressed with the display of youtube videos. Does using wi-fi over 3g have anything to do with it?

OP
C
Reaction score
Now I see when this occurs, when using 3GS, no problem with wifi. This sucks

Reaction score
Now I see when this occurs, when using 3GS, no problem with wifi. This sucks

Yep, one of the drawbacks of the iPhone. My Droid on Verizon allows me to watch full HD videos over 3G that look like the ones you see on your wifi with the iPhone. I guess they do it because of the 2GB per month limit with AT&T. Verizon has unlimited internet so you can watch HD over 3G. I can have one bar of 3G and sometimes even no bars on Verizon and it will still stream an HD YouTube video with no buffer.

I found this unfortunate also and noticed it the first day of getting my iPhone 4. If I'm on wifi chances are I'm at home. So chances are I'm going to be watching a YouTube video on my Mac and not my iPhone anyway. So, it was a let down that when I'm on the go if I show someone a video I have to pull out my Droid to show them. I'm not a fan of the low quality video myself.

I stay under 2GB on my Verizon account even though it's unlimited. And I watch HD ones but maybe they are trying to protect some people who might not have a computer who sit there and watch a ton of YouTube on their phone. Because I have known people to do that. I have a friend right now who doesn't have a computer and watches YouTube all night on the phone. They have Sprint though so they are able to watch as much as they want in HD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.