HELP - Apple Airport Speed Slow vs. Linksys

Reaction score
I currently have a Linksys WRT54G with a DSL Internet connect hooked directly into the router, then a hard line to my PC. I am running Windows XP. When doing a speedtest with the Linksys hooked up I am getting 3600-4200 kbps.

I have purchased an Apple AirPort Extreme Model No. A1354. When installing the AirPort directly in-place of the Linksys (dsl modem in and direct wire from AirPort to PC) and doing the same speedtest I am getting between 2400-2600 kbps. Everything works perfectly, but speeds are slower.

I have checked and compared settings and I cannot find anything fishy. Does anybody have experience with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I want to use the AirPort badly.

THANKS!!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
3600-4200 kb/s on a DSL line? That's almost unbelievable. Who is the ISP and what speed tier do you pay for?

OP
S
Reaction score
I am in central Iowa and the provider is Partner Communications. Are you saying that is too fast or too slow? It's a 5MB down and 1MB up line.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I am in central Iowa and the provider is Partner Communications. Are you saying that is too fast or too slow? It's a 5MB down and 1MB up line.

I'm saying that it's surprisingly fast for DSL, which typically caps out at 3Mb/s. Sounds like yours is definitely rated for 5Mb/s though.

Is the Airport Extreme physically positioned in the same area that the old Linksys router was positioned in? Is it using WPA/WPA2 encryption? Have you experimented with changing channels?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.